Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggressive maine coon

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Justine Farazian, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Justine Farazian

Justine Farazian PetForums Newbie

Hi i have adopted a maine coon 18mths old and she is very aggressive with me.

2. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Hi! In what way is she aggressive?

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Justine Farazian

Hi she was up for rehoming due to being scared of dogs living in the property. They did explain she is timid and grumpy.
    We have sectioned off a whole room for her as we have 4 others. But she is very hissy and growls really loud if you go near. I have felaway plugs in. Cat nip an assortment of beds etc etc toys.
    I am experienced with your average moggy. And wondering if it is her breed or just the stress of a new home.

4. Justine Farazian

5. Justine Farazian

She is only 18mths old

Attached Files:

6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Aw poor little girl looks really scared hiding behind that chair. I would say she needs a vet check up, to make sure she doesn't have any pain from a hidden health condition. This can make any cat behave aggressively and hide away. It must be very difficult to handle her at the moment, but if you can put a carrier in the room with her food in, perhaps she will start to go in and then you can take her along to the vet?

Ottery and chillminx like this.
  7. Justine Farazian

8. Justine Farazian

Awww i know she does she has only been here since lunch time so think i trip to vet is a little too soon but, i agree she needs a head to toe check. Fortunately its a quiet household think she came from a noisy one. Any other tips gratefully recieved.

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Did she come from a rescue centre or have you rehomed her privately and what do you know about her vet history.
    Has she been spayed and the fact that she is white has her hearing and vision been checked.
    Poor girl looks really frightened in that pic , have you set her up in a "safe room" with everything she needs food/water/litter tray and a warm bed where she can get used to her new situation .
    This needs to be a largish room where you can spend sometime with her to get her used to you and start to relax in your company without the fear of lots of strange sights/smells to worry her .

chillminx likes this.
  10. Justine Farazian

11. Justine Farazian

Hi,
    We rehomed her privately. She is registered with a vet and vet and i will ring them tomorrow.
    She is chipped and is due flea and worm treatment august.
    She has a whole room looking out to the garden.
    With multiple beds tray food etc..
    I feel all this is due to new surroundings and hopefully will settle. I have a good amount of time to spend with her slowly but surely. Thankyou so much for the tips gratefully recieved and will keep updating on her progress.
    Going to get het pet insurance tomorrow

12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

It is good that you know who her previous vet was but they may only discuss her history with your vet unless the past owner has given permission for them to tell you.
    I would hold off insuring her until you know her history so that you know if she has any existing conditions.
    I hope she soon settles with you ,please keep us update.

chillminx likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Justine Farazian - growling loudly every time you go near her doesn't sound like normal behaviour, even for a cat who has only just come to live with you. We have new cats at the Shelter all the time and the only ones who keep growling at us are those who are either extremely frightened and mistrustful, due probably to very negative experiences with humans in the past, or because they are ill or injured.

Your cat's demeanour in the photo looks like a very unhappy girl. I hope you can get her seen by a vet as soon as possible. She doesn't have to go to the vet she was previously registered with. I'd take her to a vet you know and whose skills, experience and advice you trust.

But by all means if you can get the previous owner's permission for her vet to tell you the cat's history that will be a help. The previous owner will have to phone their vet to give her permission, because of the obligations of the Data Protection Act.

buffie and Treaclesmum like this.
  14. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Oh bless her, she is very frightened. If she is timid, perhaps your home wasn't the wisest of choices by the breeder or previous owner - 4 resident cats is very stressful.

As she is a pet, she wouldn't need her ears testing (BAER testing, done by breeders who keep for breeding but not always done on pets), and her eyes don't need testing at all. White is synonymous with hearing problems, not sight problems. Breeders who work with white usually know quite quickly if there's hearing problems.

Maine Coons are generally a very laid back, silly, loving, daft breed. The light's on but no one's at home sort of thing. For a Maine Coon to be aggressive, they are in a high state of stress and/or in pain.

Is she from a registered breeder and were you given the registration document from GCCF, TICA or FIFé?

spotty cats likes this.
  15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@Rufus I don't think this cat came from a breeder as the OP says it was a private "rehome" and she is 18 months old,so who knows whether she is from a responsible "breeder" or not.
    I only mentioned vision as I was under the impression that if hearing is impaired it may also affect vision but perhaps I'm mistaken.

16. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Breeders will run potential breeding cats on until an older age, to monitor their development and personality, and will rehome if the cat isn't suitable - often to the benefit of the cat, if their personality wasn't quite suitable for breeding. That doesn't make the breeder irresponsible.

Equally the cat could have been rehomed from a breeder to an owner and the owner is now rehoming. Again, it doesn't make the breeder irresponsible.

Whiteness has no effect on vision. Deafness is caused by the white gene (both dominant and recessive) when it moves out from the spinal chord across the body. Not all cats that have either of the white genes are deaf, it depends on how the gene spreads the white. The only effect it has on the eyes is turning them blue, it has absolutely no effect on vision whatsoever.

If she was deaf, she wouldn't have been frightened of the dogs in the previous home, so a BAER test at this juncture would be an expensive and pointless exercise.

17. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I bow to your superior knowledge :)

18. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

I usually take my kittens to the vet within a couple of days even if they seem absolutely fine. So if I was a bit concerned about health or behaviour I'd take them asap. The shyness is not unusual, but the growling is. I suspect either she is in some discomfort or she is very scared and was previously mistreated. Did you see her in the original home at all - did you see how she behaved when she was there?

How is she today? In terms of 'getting to know her', resist trying to get her out of her hiding place or approaching too closely, it's where she feels safe - I am sure you know that anyway. You could sit in the room with her on the floor, not too close to her and not looking at her, just sitting reading a book quietly so she gets to accept you are a benign presence. You could also take a wand toy in and move it around gently - again, not looking directly at her, as she may see that as a threat.

(Obviously you will have to get her out of her hiding place to get her to the vet though!)

Hope she is a bit more relaxed today?

Treaclesmum likes this.
  19. Justine Farazian

Attached Files:

chillminx and Treaclesmum like this.
  20. Justine Farazian

She appears to be a bit more chilled today. Still hissy but spoke with previous owner and she has always been like this so my next step is the vets.

Ottery and Treaclesmum like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice