Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggressive French Bulldog - PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by HJKettle, Dec 17, 2018.

1. HJKettle

HJKettle PetForums Junior

Hi there,

I've posted about this before on the forum but felt compelled to do so again. Me and my partner have a french bulldog called Louie and a cockapoo called Barney, and Louie has shown continually aggressive behaviour over the course of the last 12 months or so. Part of this is resource guarding with things like socks and shoes and lip balm whereby he protects them with his life (I know you all know the definition I'm just voicing my thoughts out loud), and growls and moves aggressively towards you if you go near it.

Usually we have to lure him away either by pretending someone is at the door the hoover, both of which only work every so often - usually it's going into the garden after a while that works the best. In addition to this he has a tendency to go for Barney in a nasty way - usually over food or if Barney has his harness put on for a walk in the same vicinity as Louie. When I say 'go for' him, say Stage 1 is play fighting, this is Stage 2 with horrible noises and the fighting is visibly more frantic. They also get very wound up (both of them) when they see other dogs.

They've never injured one another and Louie has never bitten us, but we've exercised a series of methods and don't know what to do or what the best course of action is. We don't want to have to be tip toeing around our dog and we want to get this attitude out of him. We understand this will partly be our fault due to training methods or lack of during the early stages of his life, but I'm here to see what is possible from this point on.

For reference Barney is 1 and 1/2 years old, and Louie is 2 years old. Both have been neutered.

Thank you,
    Harry

2. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Have you had a dog behaviourist/trainer come into your home and try to help. There is only so much we can do to help over the internet but we can try and find someone who can help more :)

HJKettle likes this.
  3. HJKettle

Hey Alex,

Thanks for your reply. We had a behaviourist in a few months ago, but she only really seemed to focus on specific methods above others. We've trained him not to go on the furniture and to sit, roll over etc., but this side of him still seems to come out. If there is more to be done in terms of what they offer, I'm happy to try again.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Have you read through the 'sticky' Resource Guarding at the top of this page as there is a lot of useful advice from other owners and methods which you may not have tried?

5. HJKettle

I saw the thread and will have a look, but I felt the need to post a separate topic as some of the issues (going after Barney) don't seem to fall into that category.

lorilu likes this.
  6. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Was this the behaviourists advice? Because if that's all they suggested then I'd say you got a dud :( None of those things are going to solve resource guarding issues or stop one dog having a go at the other. Very old school way of thinking to think they'll help much if at all.

Definitely worth another behaviourist imo because there is a LOT more can be done. If you give a general area you're in it's quite possible someone may be able to recommend a reputable one, it's a minefield out there with behaviourists and trainers.

7. HJKettle

Thanks Sarah, my area is near Marlborough in Wiltshire UK.

8. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Try googling APDT: Association of Pet Dog Trainers. I think there are a few in Wilts. All well tested, regulated and qualified.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice