Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggressive dog

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by d's pets, Nov 15, 2019.

1. d's pets

d's pets PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have a question on how to deal with an aggressive dog. He is a rescue dog and is generally ok with people but has lunged and barked at men and many other dog breeds. I keep him on a lead at all times which he pulls on and he wares a muzzle which he dislikes and constantly tries to take off. I'm hoping the use of the muzzle is temporary until he gets the training he needs. I really feel that he needs a trainer and I think his owners are looking into getting one.

I've been undertaking online courses on training but I just wanted some advice on how to handle the situation - with the dog and his owners as he is generally a lovely dog, its just these crucial elements to his personality which needs attention.

I hope you can help!

Thank you,

Diana

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Are you sure that your insurance covers you for such a dog?

I think I'd be inclined to either stay in their garden or get them to hire a secure field

3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you this dogs walker, as in do you receive payment?
    If the dog is trying to take off the muzzle then he wasn't muzzle trained in the first place which takes time, but once done the dog will happily put the muzzle on and not bother with it at all.

While the owner is looking for a good behaviourist (sounds like this dog may need more than just a trainer) I would advise you to walk the dog in quiet places...either a secure field or out in locations that most don't venture to...the more this dog can practice lunging and barking the better he will get.

If you don't feel comfortable walking this dog then there is no shame in referring the owner to someone more experienced with behavioural issues.

mrs phas, d's pets, Torin. and 2 others like this.
  4. d's pets

Unfortunaley they live in a flat with no garden. I'd have to check the app I'm using as I get my jobs through them. I Initially started as a pet sitter and have recently began with dog walking, he is my first dog walking client, not the best start!

5. d's pets

I do receive payment, I've been walking him for about a month now. Thank you yes Ive been taking him to quietist places, I'm based in London so lots of people around unfortunately! Quiet places are hard to find. I may have to stop walking him which is a shame, but he really does need help. I'm hoping his owners look for someone soon, I've been walking him for about a month now and they haven't mentioned anything of a trainer since, should I push them on it? I don't want to seem intrusive but this is really important.

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Do they ever walk him themselves, and if so, do they recognise his behaviour as an issue which needs addressing?

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. d's pets

Hi, they say they take him out for an hour in the morning and evening, then I take him out for an hour during the day. He's a high energy dog - Lab Russle mix, I feel he needs more, I feel they are struggling with him. Previous walkers have suggested to them to consider giving him up but they are adamant that they won't be. Its a tricky situation... They do realise its a problem, he was apparently much worse than he is now.

8. Linda Weasel

Walking won’t resolve his problems, I think; he’ll just get fitter and need more walking.

Does anybody do any training with him, or anything else to engage his brain? A bored dog will make his own entertainment, and barking/lunging is entertaining. Or he is anxious and stressed?

I think his owners should be consulting the rescue that he came from, to see if they have an on board behaviourist who uses positive reward-based methods.

If this isn’t possible then a behaviourist qualified with APDT, or similar.

As a last resort maybe rehome to a suitable, experienced home who will be able to better deal with his problems, for his own sake.

Lurcherlad and d's pets like this.
  9. Waggy Walks in Wakey

Waggy Walks in Wakey PetForums Newbie

I agree with Linda above, if I was their dog walker I would be declining the walk until they had been given some appropriate training, I always offer a free introductory walk to access the dog before committing to regular walks.

d's pets likes this.
  10. d's pets

Thank you so much for your feedback. They said he has been to many training classes but "it didn't stick". I'm assuming because they didn't keep it up. They also have him in a crate when no one is home because he "winds himself up". Is this a type of separation anxiety? and boredom perhaps..? They do play with him in the flat.

Yes previous walkers have said to consider rehoming him, they aren't interested. I really feel bad for this dog but I'm not experienced enough to take him on.

Waggy Walks in Wakey likes this.
  11. d's pets

Thank you, yes I think I'll decline the walks from now on. Thank you thats a great idea, I'll do that in the future!

12. Linda Weasel

Very sad, really for this dog with such selfish and self-centred owners; they’re obviously not prepared to make any effort on the dog’s behalf but won’t give him up to someone who would.

You are right to discontinue walking him, though; too much responsibility and scope for things to go wrong.

Lurcherlad and d's pets like this.
  13. Laura P N U

Laura P N U PetForums Newbie

Hi Diana,

It might help to refer the owners to Section 3(1) of the dangerous dogs act:

Under section 3(1) of the 1991 Act (as amended by the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, (the '2014 Act')), if any dog is dangerously out of control in any place, including all private property, the owner, or person for the time being in charge of the dog, is guilty of a summary offence.

It might make them understand how serious is the need for them to employ a behaviourist to work with them and the dog or alternatively find the dog new owners who are prepared to do the work that this dog needs!

Laura

d's pets likes this.
  14. d's pets

Thanks Laura.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice