Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggressive Cancer in Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MollyAndRosie, Jan 11, 2021.

1. MollyAndRosie

MollyAndRosie PetForums Newbie

Molly my 12 year old cat was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer before Christmas. As she finds the vets distressing and the vet said that even if they did the biopsy surgery it was unlikely to prolong her life for very long we decided against her having surgery and to make her comfortable at home.

She's been enjoying plenty of tuna and cuddles but now I can feel the tumour is much bigger and could potentially soon be impacting on her windpipe, she's less interested in her food and going outside and spending a lot of time sleeping, aso I think the time may be near to say goodbye.

However she has these sustained moments of being a kitten again - running around like a little fool, chasing her sister and eating very in sight which make me think its too soon.

I don't know what to do but I know I don't want her to be in pain or suffer if she's just hiding the pain from us with these moments.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Such a hard decision, to know when it's time to let them go. I think it sounds as if she may still be okay for a little while if she still has the willingness to play. Cats can hide their pain but it sounds as if your girl still has some good moments.

Jackie C, Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Something like this is very difficult as there are good days and bad days. But over time, there is less good. You have to try to decide when the bad outweighs the good. You could try discussing this with your vet, also I think these are worh read:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/time-to-say-farewell.441811/

and

https://felinecrf.org/saying_goodbye.htm

And finally my own bits of advice:

Firstly make a plan for when the dreaded day comes. At home or at the vets? Burial or cremation? If the later, let the vets take care of it or find a private pet crem and take her yourself? What sort of casket? I know this could sound quite morbid, but these things have helped me when I had a terminally ill cat.

Secondly, I have a friend who in her view waited too long with a cat, and she keeps beating herself up about it. I agree, better a day early than a day late.

I also found it very stressful as my cat was having long-acting steroid injections every 10 days or so and I would get stressed about if this visit was the final one, but when the end came it really was so obvious that was what it was.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It’s a horrible position to be in but better a week early than a day late is the old saying.

Perhaps the vet can give some guidance if you think she’s going downhill?

Remember too, that your cat won’t really know what’s going on.

Still not easy though - sorry you’re facing this.

MissMiloKitty and jill3 like this.
  5. MollyAndRosie

Thank you everyone. She's off to the vet today as the vet is concerned about thr weight update I have him and he's going to give her a quick checkover.

We think we found another tumour on her stomach today which might explain the loss of appetite so we'll see how that goes.

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Thinking of you x

7. MollyAndRosie

The vet is actually super happy with her at the moment. She has lost a bit of weight but not as much as my update suggested and he thinks she's perfectly content in herself right now too, but we're going to keep an eye on everything.

I just need to keep her eating so we're trying some medication which isn't traditionally used in cats to stimulate her appetite, apparently it might make her pushy and annoying but I can live with that.

lymorelynn likes this.
  8. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the update. I am pleased that she is doing well. I hope that she continues and you will have more time with her. x

9. MollyAndRosie

The vet was right. She's been trying to get in the biscuits box all day despite there being bowls down.

Attached Files:

pipski, Treaclesmum, SbanR and 2 others like this.
  10. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I'm sorry to hear your lovely Molly is so poorly. It's good that she still has an appetite and that she's being cheeky in her biscuit box!

My Betty had cancer, it's so heart-breaking as they hide their pain as a survival instinct. There are good days and bad days, and I think it's time to say goodbye when the bad days outnumber the good. Or when she stops wanting to eat or is struggling to eat. Sometimes there is a look they have in their eyes. Sometimes, it's just hard to tell.
    Cats don't understand the concept of life and death like we do. They don't think about tomorrow, they live for the moment. She won't know that when it's her time, that when she goes to sleep she will never wake up again.
    You seem quite pragmatic about it, which is good. I don't mean you're heartless, far from it. I hope she has a good number of good days ahead. x

MollyAndRosie likes this.
  11. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

I just wanted to chip in and say how very sorry I am to read this. You sound wonderfully level headed, and although you’ve come here for advice or to sound out other opinions, I sure you’ll make the right decision at the right time for your beautiful Molly.
    Thinking of you both xx

12. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

Sending love x

13. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

How is Molly?

14. MollyAndRosie

It's been 3 months since her initial diagnosis. We can see the tumour has grown and is now wrapping around her head down to her windpipe.

We can also see and feel how much weight she has lost, but she's not in any pain, she's eating me out of house and home, she's playful and kitteny and the vet is happy with her progress.

She's getting a little more frail and moving more gingerly and I'm certain from the way she always wants to be on me that she's feeling the cold, so I'm not sure how much longer we have left with her, but given we didn't think she was going to make the new year, these three months have been wonderful.

Jackie C likes this.
  15. Callidora

It sounds like you’re making the most of your time with her and making lots of beautiful memories. Sending you and Molly lots of love xxx

16. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

[​IMG]

17. MollyAndRosie

Molly is being put to sleep next week The vet is confirming the day on Tuesday. We're going to be allowed into the surgery to say goodbye to her so they want a quiet time at the practice.

She's beginning to have some breathing problems and less good days so she's having plenty of cuddles and fish. She's been rolling around on the fake lawn this afternoon but now she's fast asleep on me again ❤

18. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear this. I hope the next few days are peaceful. Molly knows you love her

19. Callidora

I’m so so sorry to hear this, you’ve given Molly a beautiful life, one with warmth and love and all the tuna she could ever want. Sending you lots of love, our thoughts will be with you next week xx

20. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I'm sorry to hear the sad news. She's had a wonderful life with you, and I hope the last few days are special. xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice