Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggressive Behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by DogLover62, Apr 16, 2017.

1. DogLover62

DogLover62 PetForums Junior

My nearly 2 year old Lhasa Apso has started to present behaviours that indicate food aggression and resource guarding.

It seems to have started when I got a kitten.

She is a dominant dog within the home but outside with dogs she doesn't know is nervous and if pushed will become fear aggressive, although this is a separate issue and she is improving dramatically.

She is fine during meal times and will eat very close to my other dog with no problem. However recently she has started to become aggressive around treats and high reward food. It started when I would give out treats she would snap at my other dog and chase the cat away. I started giving treats out with a good distant between each animal and she stopped, it was only when they got too close. So I avoided these situations so she couldn't practise the behaviour.

However now the problem seems to have escalated, for example I was sat eating some chocolate and my other dog simply walked passed me and my Lhasa Apso lunged at her. She bites but doesn't bite its more of a warning and will stop when they have backed off. I reacted by shouting No and simply told her to get out the room.

She is also quite protective of my room.. Doesn't like my other dog or cat entering and again will present the same behaviour.

She is fine with people and children, no aggressive behaviour or resource guarding there, just other dogs and the cat.

What can I do to help stop this behaviour? I don't it to get worse as she may end up hurting my other dog or cat.

I will also add that she is not spayed as of yet which I am aware can contribute to the problem, but she will be getting spayed.

The training methods I have used since she was a puppy are all positive reinforcement as she does not react or understand negative punishment, I also prefer positive reinforcement.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Dogs that present with resource guarding issues are more likely to be slightly anxious and insecure (rather than 'dominant') and as the behaviour has started after the arrival of the new kitten I think you will find that this is the trigger ...in that your Lhasa Apso is a little anxious about the new arrival and the change of family dynamics.

The problem with resource guarding is that it tends to escalate and can then include both people and location (as well as food). Have a look at then thread in this section of the Forum (called Resource Guarding) where there are links and book suggestions. Hopefully this will help. It may also be a good idea to enlist the help of a professional if things continue.

J

MiffyMoo, ouesi and DogLover62 like this.
  3. DogLover62

DogLover62 PetForums Junior

Thank you, I'm glad you have said that, as she is a anxious dog, but when I tell people this they don't seem to understand, they think that for her to be scared she has to have her tail down and run away, which she does but in other situations she doesn't and lashes out. I am quite sceptical of the whole dominance theory and only described her as it as she has started to become bossy particularly to the cat.

She has shown signs of improvement since I posted on here. I began trying to desensitise her to it. I gave her a treat and sat and stroked her (she is fine with this) then I had my other dog walk backwards and forwards next to her, at first she was wary but I calmed her down and now she lays there and doesn't give my other dog a second look.
    I am going to keep continuing this until I trust her 100% then I am going to try and do the same with the cat.
    If the situation does change I will get help from a professional but for now especially with the improvements she is showing I think I am doing ok.

Thank you I will look through that threat thanks.

Lurcherlad and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  4. JPR

JPR PetForums Newbie

I look after my grandchildren regularly but with that comes the animals. My daughter has two dogs and one of them (patterdale) is very territorial and will not allow the other one (cavalier) in her space without attacking her. This means the cavalier spends far too much time in a cage and it upsets me that she has no freedom. Can anyone give me any suggestions please because something has to change as I can't sit back and let this continue.

5. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Just for a start, would it work to alternate between the Patterdale and the cavalier being crated? It won't address the problem but it seems like a fairer way to manage things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice