Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

aggressive behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by cooper1408, Apr 13, 2011.

1. cooper1408

cooper1408 PetForums Newbie

Hi , looking for some advice pls:( i have an 18 month old beagle, who i love to bits but recently he has been 'stealing' things to chew eg, purses, mobile phones etc and when i try to take them from him, he growls and tries to bite.

I have an 8 year old son an dont want this to turn nasty,

Other than this problem, he is a lovely dog, very sociable with other dogs.

please help. :confused:

2. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome.

Instead of trying to take the item back from him have you tried swapping it for something he can have.Something better and more exciting,a toy or a treat.

If he thinks you are trying to take it away he will probably react as he is doing,but if you swap it he should give it up easily.

3. cooper1408

Thanks, i will try that, but dont really want to reward him with giving him something he wants, would rather try to deter him from taking things in the first instance.

will definately try that, thanks for your reply. :001_smile:

4. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

By exchanging the possession for something he can have, like a treat or his favourite toy, you can build on a 'Leave it' command. When this is strengthened, you can say 'Leave it' for anything he has and he'll give it up and look at you, because he's expecting something even better. You are not rewarding him for taking an inappropriate object; you are teaching him a command which you can use and also teaching him what he can have. Through repetitions, he'll only want to play with his toys because he knows that whenever he takes something else, he's immediately asked to play with something else. He'll also only want to play with his toys because he gets rewarded for whenever he does.

Do not scold/punish harshly the dog for taking something and don't just try and grab it off him. He doesn't know any better. Mobile phones may be very nice to chew, but he doesn't know they're valuable. Reacting badly makes him nervous and, thus, he begins to resource guard and show aggressive tendencies. By preventing these issues (not leaving anything in view that he likes to take) and working on a 'Leave it' command, you will teach him more desirable behaviours and basic manners, as well as strengthening the bond between you two.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You can teach him the leave it and drop command through play, another good thing is to teach him impulse control if you havent already.
    Teach him a reliable sit at first with a treat. Once that is reliable then teach him wait, by instead on rewarding with the treat the instant he sits, say wait,
    repeat wait then give the treat, you can build the wait time up by waiting longer before you give the treat. next step is to take a ball or toy, getting him to sit wait, then throw it then tell him find it. Once he picks up the ball, encourage him to bring it to you. when he does, then have a treat ready a high value one like cheese,chicken hotdogs, offer the treat in place of the ball,
    he should drop the ball for the treat as he does say drop, repeat drop then give him the treat. Then you can repeat the whole exercise again. Its a way to wear them out too physically and mentally, the anticipation of another game and the treat in exchange for the ball, should encourage him. Do a couple of sessions a few times a day, teaching each stage reliably until you go on to the next bit.

To teach leave, I have always put mine in a sit wait, stepped back, put a treat on the floor covered it with my hand, said leave, repeated leave, then removed my hand and said take it and let mine have the treat, again do this on your training sessions, you only need to do 10/15 minutes a few times a day.

Once you have got all this in place, you can use the leave, when you see him go for something, rewarding with a treat if he leaves. if he does pick it up them you should be able to offer the treat, saying drop, if he drops it them he gets the treat. If you have already pre trained him to leave and drop and he has already got the concept, then you have no worries of treating him or getting the timing wrong for bad behaviour, he actually gets the treat for leaving it or dropping it.

Once you have "trained him" your son could even do the training sessions with the ball or toy too. So he should then be able to give the leave and drop commands. At 18mths you are maybe going to have to do a lot of repetitions and be consistant, as I have always taught this to mine when much younger when they seem to be that more receptive and more ready to please. With time and patience it should pay off though.

Hope this might give you some ideas.

6. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Set your dog up for success and don't be so careless with your possessions.
    Give the dog supervised access to alternative chews, which you encourage.

This is called "resource guarding", the dog values the objects and wants to keep them, if it were a bone or a steak it'd be clear why it was happening.

This thread explains how the dog sees it - http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/133454-dogs-object-posssession-aka-resource-guarding-rg.html?highlight=aka+resource

Trying to "deter" rather than deflect the dogs attention, is asking for conflict and escalating aggression. Find a positive way to distract your dog from things that it should not have, that get left around.

7. cooper1408

8. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Didn't mean to seem hard on you, most people would have mentioned theft from work tops etc
    OK, you might enjoy this Counter Surfing originally linked to by leashedForLife http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/83845-link-pro-active-pos-r-re-counter-surfing.html#post1331438

You'll see an enduring theme, reward alternate behaviour, don't just notice the bad. Just like kids, dogs need attention and if being trouble is the only way they get it.. that's what you'll find happening. Having a dog obey house rules, is a lot down to deciding what you do want the dog to do :)

#8 RobD-BCactive, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  9. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

hi, I have a 13mth old beagle who loves nothing better than a bit of stealing to turn it into a game! I obviously do not appreciate this as it is usually clean clothes off clothes horse or cushions that she loves to drag out to garden!
    first tip- dont let them think its a game-so no running after them!
    2nd tip-use the "leave it" command-it will become your best friend when dealing with beagle. say leave it, when your dog drops whatever it stole then reward (i say good girl and then treat)
    3rd tip-watch like a hawk and try to remove temptation-we have been keeping teatowels on kitchen window since she was 8wks old as its the only place she cant reach!!
    4th tip-BE CONSISTENT and get everyone in house to do the same!

good luck!!!!
    p.s. I can now hang laundry up with her in the room and everytime she shows interest in stealing a sock i say "leave it" and she will sit there-you will start to be able to use the command without having to treat each time eventually, sometimes treat sometimes dont-you know what beagles are like if there is something tasty at the end they will work towards it!
    and i do know how frustrating it can be-lexie ate husbands phone a couple of months ago-completely trashed it!!!! but valuable lessons get learned by dog and humans!!!!

#9 lexie2010, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice