Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggression on lead

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Keppel, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Keppel

Keppel PetForums Member

Hi all

I could do with some help with my dog, for around a year now she seems to be acting aggressively towards other dogs when she's on lead. This only seems to happen when she is on lead, she's never aggressive off lead.

I have tried methods such as walking the other way when we see another dog. Doesn't work as she still seems to lunge and growl and is fixated on the other dog and not me.

Planning ahead so if I see another dog in the distance I'll get her attention before she even notices the other dog and change direction. Doesn't always work though as sometimes you're in a situation where that's not possible.

The main thing I do is put her in a sit, get a treat out and put a barrier between me and the other dog/s and wait for them to pass. This doesn't seem to work too well either, especially if the other dog is interested in her, which 9 times out of 10 they are. She does not seem interested in me or whatever I have in my hand be it a toy or a treat when this is happening.

It's manageable at the minute but I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I can walk past another dog without her going into instant aggression mode. I realise most aggression comes from fear but I'm struggling to find what she's actually scared of.

What am I doing wrong you guys and what could I do better?

2. kare

kare PetForums VIP

I wonder how consistent you have been.

You can need to walk the other way and then get the dog to sit and focus on you for a long time before they start to calm down....and then it can be set right back by a dog that comes over despite your actions

I would work as you have. Stay calm give distance and focusing on you. You do need to build and practise the exercise to focus on you WITHOUT dogs around first though. It should be something the dog is excellent at before you "up the anti" and practice around a dog.

Also doing brain work or training BEFORE leaving your house so the dog is not full energy, making them work their brain on lead (heel work, and other "tricks"), whilst staying extra calm yourself can help greatly

Firefly13 and MiffyMoo like this.
  3. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

When I was training Duch and made her sit when other dogs passed a treat was used not as a diversionary tactic but as a reward for good behaviour. Duch was allowed to look at the dogs passing by, but the reward was earned by not reacting. If she stood up or reacted in any way the treat was withheld. This only works though if your dog is a lot more interested in the treat than other dogs so you need to make sure your treat is something that has a far higher position on your dogs list of likes than other dogs, in other words an absolute favourite treat.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you perfected something like a watch me command at home as an exercise first until that reliable, and then started to use it outside first starting at a distance that the dog is still comfortable with and doesn't react, and then when you have success at this safe or comfortable distance then gradually repeating the whole exercise and commands gradually decreasing the distance between you and approaching dogs a little at a time, and only when you get success for awhile at the previous distance? If you haven't then maybe go back to basics and start over.

There is also BAT training details and explanation on the link, although if you search you will also be able to find others.
    http://grishastewart.com/bat-overview/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice