Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aggression in puppy restless at night

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emma Meaney, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Emma Meaney

Emma Meaney PetForums Newbie

I have a 4 month old golden retriever puppy, in the last month or so he’s recently started to become very aggressive. If you try to pick him up he will snap at you and bark same as if you tell him to stop doing something. At all hours of the night 3/4am he will wake up too to out to the garden and will not come back in if you try to bring him in or go towards him he will get very aggressive. He also constantly bites on his feet and thighs like mad. We are aware he’s having anal gland problems recently but the aggression is not from this as it started way before. If anyone has any idea what might be wrong it’d be a great help thanks.

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

It sounds very much as if he's suffering from some sort of allergy (possibly pollen) which is making him uncomfortable and restless. Personally I would take him to your vet as soon as possible.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Also stop picking him up.

Use a house line so you can gently encourage him (use voice/praise/treats) to where you want him to be or off something and take him outside on a lead.

#3 Lurcherlad, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

The constant biting is a puppy thing. Its not unusual.
    You may find this book useful Easy peasy puppy squeezy by Steve Mann

CheddarS and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Something seems to be bothering him. Would also try a vet check up. Has he slept through the night before?

You don’t need to pick up your puppy and it’s ok for your pup not to like it. Put him on the leash when you take him toilet in the garden at night, so he knows it’s not play time.

lullabydream likes this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

This is the crux of the issue..what many many people do with toy breeds who then start to get snappy, run away. Which is exactly what you have found out.

I have the rule...all touch needs to have positive associations. So if I am removing my puppy from somewhere she would rather be, then in her eyes, it's not positive. So it's far easy to use you voice and treat and practise basics of recall, get a treat if you come to me and praise. So it's a good choice to make, even better as you are paid for it. Kibble works well for this.

You don't need to pick him up for cuddles either. My puppy rarely gets picked up except up and down stairs, so morning and night time. She gets a lot of cuddles though. She lets us know when she's had enough of playing and wants to be with us..

7. I also rarely pick up my puppy. If I want her to move or not be somewhere I use commands or treats and it’s much easier than picking her up, weighing 16.5 kgs now :Joyful teach him early because you don’t wanna be picking up a fully grown Golden Retriever,

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice