Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Agency "co-reporting" on child abuse and animal abuse-Illinois legislation signed

Discussion in 'Pet News' started by testmg80, Aug 16, 2009.

1. testmg80

testmg80 PetForums VIP

St.Louis Pets Examiner, By Mary Bushnell

I have reported several times in the past about the link between domestic violence and animal abuse. Offenders often hold a family hostage because of their love for their pet.
    Animal abuse and domestic violence-the sad link

There is also another sad link; that link is between child abuse and animal abuse. Illinois Governor Pat Quinn signed a bill today that may make this link easier to track.

Signed Friday afternoon in a special ceremony at the Cook County Sheriff’s Office, the measure amends the Humane Care for Animals Act, as well as the Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act, by requiring animal welfare investigators, who have reasonable cause to suspect or believe that a child is being neglected, abused, or in any such danger, to make a written or oral report to the State Department of Children and Family Services.

Likewise, investigators employed by the Department of Children and Family Services must immediately report suspected animal abuse or neglect to the Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Animal Health and Welfare.

This bill essentially mandates that agencies investigating animal abuse to report suspected child abuse they may uncover, and for agencies investigating child abuse to report suspected animal abuse. The legislation also provides for immunity from liability the persons that report the abuse and also provides for the confidentiality of persons reporting the abuse, as long as the reporting was done in good faith that abuse was taking place.

As reported in many of my articles, abuse is abuse. It is unlikely that a person that abuses animals doesn’t have a problem with anger and abuse in general. That is why so many serial killers have a history of animal abuse. That is why I keep saying that we will see the people abusing animals in today’s news, again. It is a pattern. Unfortunately. They may continue to abuse animals or they move “up” to abusing people. It actually has a name- the “circle of abuse”. That is why I don’t particularly have much faith in the rehabilitation of child abusers, animal abusers, or sex offenders. The statistics support the recidivism of these type crimes.

Cross reporting is a legislative trend we may see passed in other states. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in years to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice