Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aged cat not cleaning top of back. What to do

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by FiremanTreeCat, Jun 21, 2017.

1. FiremanTreeCat

FiremanTreeCat PetForums Newbie

Shall I use pet shampoo on area?

I've combed to get loose hair out but it's a greasy, grey hair spot that he cannot twist to clean.

No skin inflamation or fleas.

Suggestions please

FTC

2. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Hi

If your cat isnt grooming itself properly I would advise you see your vet.

Your cat could have joint pain, arthritis erc which makes grooming difficult or more painful

X

Matrod and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Agree with @claire8234 I think your first course of action should be a vet visit to rule out any problems which are preventing him from cleaning himself.
    Poor lad may have pain in that area preventing him from twisting round.

Matrod and claire8234 like this.
  4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Definitely time for a vet visit and a good check over. I had two cats make it to 21 and they both still kept themselves clean so we cannot presume that it is 'normal' for a cat to stop grooming. In fact it is always going to be a sign of either illness or pain which need attention.
    I would not use any kind of shampoo on an elderly mog and would be careful about grooming the area.....my old boy Murphy was very skinny in his last year and I had to be very gentle when combing him ( something I had done all through his life)

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice