Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

age to spay and other questions.....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ty-bo, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Hi, my appologies if this has already been asked but we have never had a female before.

Lottie has not had a season yet. She is nearly 7 months old. At what age can I expect her to have her first season, what are the symptoms and when can I get her neutered?
    I am also concerned about pyometra, especially after just reading the sticky-is this something that is obvious to spot?
    The woman we rehomed her from mentioned that she had previously been on a course of antibiotics for vaginitis-I have never heard of it, can anybody shed some light on this?

Sorry if I sound a bit thick, I just want to do right by my lovely girl :eek:

2. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Hi, I just made a similar post. I have just come back from my vets as my pug puppy has had her vaccination and check up. They have advised my to get her spayed at 6 months and not to wait for a season as this reduces mamary tumors and many other problems. Other people have recommended that it is best to wait until after the first season.

3. Its funny how different vets advise different things. Mine said to not spay untill Holly is fully mature at the age of about 18 months to 2 years as it can cause lots of problems with growth & behaviour. I was told spaying too early before she is mature could lead to her staying puppy like for a lot longer than she should making training harder, and that i wouldnt want a fully grown rottie acting like a juvinile. Mabe different breeds need spaying at different ages but when i wanted her spayed at 6 months my vet highly disagreed with me saying it was much better to wait

She had her first season at 7 months. Im not sure if thats the approx age for all dogs. some i think it can be a year or even later before they have a first season

#3 My lil Babies, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Spaying should be looked at on an individual basis. The breed and size of the dog must be considered when choosing an appropriate age.

Vets dont always recommend whats in the best interest of the dogs. They are quick to list the pros, and seem to forget about the cons. If a bitch is spayed before she is mature, then you can run across incontinence issues (still an issue, even in mature bitches). You can have growth problems and behavioural issues.

Yes, there is a link between early spaying and a reduction in mammary tumours, but the risk of leaving it a further year or so are minimal.

A believe a bitch should have atleast one season before being spayed, and ideally should reach maturity for the particular breed.

5. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Thanks for that Nonnie :D

I shall see what the vet says when we go in next week for a check up on her tooth but I think I will wait until she is a little older. Having never had a pup before I have no idea but people keep commenting on how small she is for 6 months so I definately dont want to do something that will affect her growth any further

6. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

all 3 of our girls were spayed at 5 and a half months.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is she a staffie? I had my male SBT castrated at 9 months, and it has affected his growth and his behaviour.

8. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Yes, she is a staffie. How did it affect his behaviour?
    Ty was already done when we got him at 2 but I dont know how old he was when it happened. He will wee overnight if left to his own devises so we either let them both sleep up with us or they are confined to a nook in our kitchen with a stair gate in which case he wont. I dont know if this is because he was snipped to early or if its because his previous owners kept him in the garden overnights?
    As I say, I dont really want to interfere with Lottie's growth especially at the mo where her head looks a bit too big for her body!
    I am wondering if the fact that her previous owner only fed her twice a day with Bakers puppy has anything to do with her size?????

9. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

i have a westie dog when is the best time vet said 6 months but on another thread someone advised me to wait

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hang on till she's around 18 months to two years.

Pyometra can be hard to spot,my bitch had this.She displayed very few symptoms,apart from been snappy with Tyler,off her food and depressed.
    She had open Pyo,she did go downhill very fast,she was at the vets at 8.30am on the saturday morning and was spayed by 1.45pm.

Pyo is more common in older bitches,although my bitch was only 22 months.

Just keep a close eye on her after her season and if you feel anything is not right see your vet immediatly,time is of the essence with Pyo,if not treated asap it will kill bitches.

11. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Thanks Sallyanne. :) I am aware of how serious it can be so want to be as clued up on it as possible in case the worst should ever happen. I shall definately be keeping a close eye on her when she does finally come into season with baited breath and fingers crossed.

Is this the age your girls were spayed at? I am now thinking it best to wait until she is fully grown

12. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

We had plans to spay her after we had bred from her,but obviously we didn't have a choice when she developed pyo.

If I was going to spay a bitch it would be around two years old when they are mature.

13. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I had much the same advice from our vet last night when I asked about spaying our Bichon puppy. She said that spaying before the first season reduces the risk of mammary cancer by 50%. She said if I wait till after her first season then I have to wait four months after so she will be getting on for 12 months old then. She said she wouldn't give the same advice to anyone with a dobie or long slim dogs because they are more prone to urinary incontinence if spayed too early.

I still don't know what to do.:confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice