Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

After spaying advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by miller, May 31, 2010.

1. miller

miller PetForums Newbie

Hello all I'm new on here and hoping for some needed advice please.

On 28Th our Golden lab(nearly 5yrs old) went to be spayed at her usual vets. I collected her later that evening at which point she managed to walk from the vets to he car about 25 yds.
    When I arrived home she wouldn't stand to exit the car so I carried her into the house, where I put her is where she slept till the morning.
    On Saturday I put on the collar, and she was just walking around the house and made one visit to the toilet to pass water. Just after mid day she started to weep blood from the incision and over the next couple of hours this progressively got worse so I contacted the vets who carried out the op.
    I had to take her to them and they applied pressure to force the blood out as it had built up inside from bleeding internally. They issued her with some antibiotics and wrapped her with a pressure bandage.
    This follow up treatment cost me a further £150.

Prior to the op they recommended we spayed the dog as we had no intention to breed her. I asked for a price to carry out the op and was quoted £176 to £196 depending on weight.
    The op was charged at £211.

1st Question, surely this is not right to be charged the extra £150 as its related to the op which I paid for, thoughtfully in full at time of op

2nd Question I have to take her back on Tuesday for them to check the bleeding and re-dress the incision, should I be expected to be charged again for this?

Sorry to have gone on on my first post, but the dog is apart of the family and we don't want to see her suffer so the bills have be paid for but don't want to be taken advantage of.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

2. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

3. BasenjiBaby

BasenjiBaby PetForums Newbie

My Molly was spayed almost a month ago and she had same problem. A lump developed on one side of her incision & it weeped for at least a week. Vet gave us lots of anti-biotics which we weren't charged for & we were also told that any further treatment regarding her spaying would be FOC. Hope you are insured at least but sounds like money-grabbing vets to me. Sorry, its horrible when they're not right, you feel so guilty:( Hope she's feeling better soon xxx

4. miller

miller PetForums Newbie

Hi again

Sandy is booked in for the stitches out tomorrow 14 days after the op (dreading that one) I doubt her wanting to walk in to the vets.

The last couple of days she has been very quiet and lazy and tonight she has got the shivers. she is eating ok but drinking is less than normal, in the few days following the op she wouldn't drink for about 3-4 days and since has only had usual water intake on one-two days which was last weekend when it was red hot.

I also think she looks a bit bloated, she is reluctant to let me near her stomach she will lay on her side but moves if she thinks I'm going to touch her.

I don't currently have any insurance but trust me I will be sooner rather than later.

Hope your dogs are now fully recovered and back to normal!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice