Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

after giving birth

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by mike8801, Jun 28, 2010.

1. mike8801

mike8801 PetForums Newbie

how long after your dog giving birth is it safe to take her for a walk she seems so bored :)

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

How old are the puppies. She could go for short walks as soon as she has decided she doesnt have to be with the puppies. Most bitches would not be happy to leave them for a week or so.

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I wouldn't take her out and about anywhere other dogs have frequented, it is so easy for them to carry back an infection to the pups, and unfortunately parvo seems quite rife at the moment in some areas. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I didnt think of that. I dont live in an area with any disease and anyway wouldnt take a bitch with pups off my property. I was just thinking of whether the bitch would want to leave the pups.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I know, I live in the middle of nowhere too, it's so easy getting used to being able to walk a bitch in season and not have to worry. Not bred any litters yet, but again, I'd be able to let mine out no problems in the fields and there are a couple of local footpaths that are rarely, rarely used. It's easy to forget about the perils of built up areas where lots of dogs are walked, and I know parvo can remain in the ground for up to three years (from memory) so best not risked I think, just in case, unless the op lives in a similar sort of location to both of us ;)

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I wouldnt take her out for walks at all yet, the puppies are too young and if she catches anything and brings it back and passes it onto her babies you could end up with very poorly puppies. I would wait until the puppies are on the on the go and she is leaving them for longer periods at a time, then take her into your garden which is safer. I wouldnt take the chance just in case ok.:thumbup:

7. DEpends on how old the pups are! takes a while for then to build up any immunity, and thats without having to worry about the normal life threatening causes like parvo. Really needs to be keep in almost isolation
    DT

8. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I never let a bitch go anywhere other dogs go during the whole 8 weeks after pups born (and to be honest alot of the time she is pregnant).

I guess i am lucky as we do live in the middle of nowhere with no public footpaths so can walk without the worry of meeting anyone but if i wasn't in this position i would not risk taking her out of the garden.

Just not worth the risk imo.

9. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

I too do not walk Maisie and have no intention of doing so whilst we have the pups at home. I have also kept our other bitch in. We are lucky to have a large garden and they romp around that pretty much all day rain or shine, so are doing well with muscle tone and weight control etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice