Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

African clawed frogs

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by niki87, Apr 2, 2011.

1. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Sorry not sure if this is the right place. But my sister had two A.C frogs and one got out of the tank. She put him back in but two days later he was dead.

Does she need to get the other one a friend? Will he get lonely? Can you introduce another?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

They do seem to like company. My 3 are inseperable and feed better than when I had 1.

Sorry to hear about your sisters one.

Just a word of advice they can squeeze their jelly like bodies through the tiniest of gaps so any holes where pipes etc go must be sealed.

They are the worlds best escape artists but the most remarkable pet to watch.

3. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Oh wow thanks for replying hun. Can she introduce others to him with him being an adult?

I did not know their bodies were so jelly like!!!! Then again I don't know much!

4. quequeg1988

quequeg1988 PetForums Member

Ok i have an African *dwarf* frog, i had 2 but one died suddenly last week, 1stly i know they ain't the same frog's but they can live together i think lol, i introduced 2 frog'ss to my first frog and they got on fine, i'd had kermit for a month or 2 there were no problems introducing, the new one's hid for a few hours while adjusting. so i still have kermit, she's not by herself :( and Jeremiah died last week, dunno why it was very quick and she appeared fine the day before :( sso i went straight down to my LPS and ordered 2 new ADF's and a paddle tailed newt!!!! woot im so excited lol.

But i do believe new frog's can be introduced no matter how old the first's are, they love company and i think it's sad keeping my girl all by herself :(

5. ianxxxx

ianxxxx PetForums Newbie

If your going to introduce a new frog make sure its of a similar size, as they are cannabalistic.I tried to put a juvinile female in with two adult males<she was over half their size>and they tried to eat her within ten seconds of her being in the tank. IF your near south wales you can have a couple of babies as ive just bred a load.

6. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Thanks hun!!! That is very helpful...though am sorry about your other frogs! OK well will be on the lookout for a friend/s for him! xx

7. crablover

crablover PetForums Junior

thanks niki87 (sis) for posting this for me, :) i am still looking for a friend of similar size for him (my frog is called kermit too!) have 3 african dwarf frogs too but as ianxxxx said, I wouldnt want to put them together because kermit is pretty big... unfortunately, I don't live near south wales, i live in Manchester :( thanks for all the advise though xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice