Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Afghan Hound

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nicola1980, Jul 6, 2009.

1. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

Dose anyone have any experience of owning an Afghan hound?
    We are in the beginning stage of researching our next dog and have narrowed it down to an Afghan hound a Grate Dane or a bull mastiff.

We already have a springer and 2 cats, we lost our Labrador 3 months ago now and feel the time is right to start researching for our next dog.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. rona

rona Guest

I have never owned one but the lady next door when I was growing up had several and I used to walk them for her.
    They seemed to be quite laid back dogs until they were out, they are sight hounds, and have the instinct to chase.
    Unfortunately the lady that owned them was quite elderly so never really trained hers so I don't know how trainable they can be. Hers seemed a little stupid but this could have been due to lifestyle
    Lovely dogs though :)

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I used to know someone who had afghans she raced them. A lot of afghan clubs go racing at greyhound tracks. I know you can take all breeds as she asked if I wanted to take my greyhounds. I think they are quite laid back dogs once they are over the puppy stage but they do take a lot of grooming.

4. A dog I admired for many years! Always did want one! understand they are not the easiest dogs to train! and they look like they would need a fair amount of grooming!

She is you can find an Afgan Hound club site and get as much info as you can!

Have not seen one for years by the way!

All the best and keep us informed
    regards
    DT

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I looked after a couple for a summer in kennels. They were ex racers and had been in quarantine for 6 months then in boarding kennels so I suppose the fact that they were even marginally sane was a good sign. They were very silly, not well trained and incredibly hard work to groom but very elegant to look at.

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Never owned one but I know one. They're not very responsive or easily trained tend to just look at you disdainfully and then do their own thing. The grooming is completely insane pretty much needs done every day for a good 40 minutes minimum. They are however very beautiful and elegant when running the one I know does lure coursing and loves it. They're not very affectionate or big on humans.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Lovely dogs, our local dog training centre don't like having Afghans if they can help it, they say they are to disruptive and very hard to train. They had a two year old turn up once and it ran riot and keep upsetting all the other dogs.:D

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

they are not completely stupid. One of the ones I looked after in kennels would run in to the kennel block ahead of me and scream. This went on for a few days till I managed to get in at the same time as him and caught him cocking his leg up the door of a bitch in season's kennel then crouching and down and screaming because he thought he would get belted for it! So maybe not trainable but aware of what is wrong.

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I don't think they're stupid just to smart to do something silly like sit just because a human asks them to.

10. clueless

clueless Banned

My friend has 9 at the moment. They are gorgeous dogs. Need a lot of grooming!! She can let hers off the lead with no probs at all, its the way you train them imo. She shows hers and they are very well behaved, intelligent and loyal

11. nicola1980

nicola1980 PetForums Member

Thank you all I have been in touch with the breed club for wales today via email and am just wating for hem to get back to me, then I think we are going to call a few people that breed for a chat and go from there.
    The grooming is no problem for me as I'm a dog groomer.

12. affiehnd

affiehnd PetForums Newbie

Hi There.
    I have 2 Afghans & wouldnt have anything else. I have had them since the 70.s. I see you are ok regarding the grooming. I bath mine once a week.I do show them.I dont touch them in between unless they have lots of brambles ect. I do tend to walk where it is clean. I dont let mine off the lead but the first two I owned I did & they were fine.
    If you want to ring me just let me know & I will help all I can. Please be careful where you get a puppy from.
    Tricia

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice