Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advocate

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SEVEN_PETS, Apr 15, 2011.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hey

Since Sleeping_Lion's thread about Lungworm, I've been thinking if giving Ollie Advocate monthly to prevent lungworm is worth it. I was always led to believe that using Advocate monthly would prevent lungworm, although apparently it doesn't, it just treats it once lungworm is present.

So is there much point in giving Advocate monthly, or should I use products such as Drontal and Frontline which can be used less frequently?

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Why not have a chat to your vet about it, find out whether it's particularly prevalent in your area as well?

I strongly suggest you use a prescription wormer, such as Panacur, Milbemax or Drontal Plus as well as Advocate. Not all wormers cover all parasites, I don't think Advocate (from memory) gets rid of tape worms. You need to swap over at least once a year to use something else that will cover the rest of the range of nasties.

Panacur does cover lungworm (not sure about Drontal Plus) and is what's called an anthelmintic:

BSAVA | Anthelmintics in Dogs

Advocate works differently, the active ingredients are Imidacloprid and (just found this out) moxidectin. The first part treats for external parasites, the second is effective against internal parasites, from what I can make out.

How Is Moxidectin Used When Treating Cats And Dogs?

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice