Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advocate Dog Flea Treatment not working

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by RatsnCatnKids, Mar 28, 2019.

1. RatsnCatnKids

RatsnCatnKids PetForums Junior

Hi! Took my dog for a regular check up last week and vet spotted what looked like flea dirt. However, as she's on monthly Advocate and the flea dirt didn't stain wet cottonwool we relaxed. However, I was aghast to find fleas tonight - 2 on the sofa and one on the dog (I stopped looking for more on her as it was freaking my daughter out - will comb dog coat through tomorrow). Is it possible that the Advocate has stopped killing the fleas, please?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Advoate doesn't kill fleas until they bite, so it's possible the fleas you saw hitched a ride into your house but hadn't died yet. Certainly if you find more then it would probably indicate that the treatment isn't working. Have you ever had a flea infestation in your house in the past?

Regarding the possible flea dirt the vet found, it's hard to say. If it didn't stain the cottonwool then maybe it was just regular dirt? Of course if you find more fleas then it probably was flea dirt.

Advocate isn't one of the treatments known to lose effectiveness, but I guess it's possible if your dog has been on it for a very long time. You could look at trying a new product - there's lots out there to choose from.

3. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

As mcKenzie says that it doesn’t stop fleas hopping on. Best to control fleas in the home environment too with a spray. I just do mine once every six months or as and when. Spray on areas mainly where my cats/dog hang out, but sometimes do all the carpets. I use Virbac Indorex spray which seems to work well.

4. RatsnCatnKids

Thank you both! That's really helpful. Have just sprayed the sofa with Rentokil flea spray and used the can up so was going to ask for recommendations so will try the Virbac (if available in UK) Luckily the (very big!) sofa and two rugs are the main areas as the rest is wooden flooring or leather sofas and she's not allowed upstairs.

5. RatsnCatnKids

Thank you all! Just wrote a long "thank you" reply but I was interrupted and when I came to post it, it had disappeared!
    Edit - just seen my original reply did eventually appear! I was in a hospital so not a good signal!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice