Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advising people on cat food choice face to face

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Dante, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

I'm sure there are many of you on here who would advise people you know in real life about their cat food choices.. I'm not the most forward of people and would find it difficult for fear of upsetting or annoying the person.

The reason I ask is down to my boss. She has 2 cats, one who has just been diagnosed as diabetic. I know she feeds them Whiskas wet and today started complaining about the cost of it as the diabetic cat alone is eating 3 pouches before she even leaves for work in the morning (they get to work for about 6.30am) - I wanted to say something but didnt.

She did then ask if my two ever ate that much, so I explained that I had just moved them onto raw mince.. She's a veggie and you'd think from the look she gave me that I had just tried to feed it to her.

This was followed by comments like 'I have enough trouble feeding them those pouches, they do do vegetarian cat food you know.. But our cats food has vegetables in anyway, so its ok.'

I didnt say anything else, just let her think that was a good thing and left her to it. I feel if I'd said anything else I would look snobbish lol..

Anything similar happened to anyone else?

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Usually I try to get across that some of the better cat foods can be cheaper! (smilla and bozita etc are 'cheap' to me) but I haven never fed many 'supermarket' sold brands so maybe theyre arent cheap compared to those.

I will tell people whats best but a lot of people nod and agree then go and buy go cat anyway.

3. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

A way round this would be for you to print off copies of the A-Z wet and dry food guides and hand them over in person, with a polite 'I hope you find these useful' kind of thing?

Personally, I have no problem speaking to people about all manner of subjects, but I guess that's due to my job, telling people how to run their lives, but they come to me, I don't ask them to ;)

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Poor cat....if it is eating 3 pouches then it is obviously very poorly regulated.....it will eat all the time but unable to absorb the food so be literally starving to death.:mad:
    Please give her the link to Home | Diabetic Cat Care as it will explain how to handle the FD properly, and we also feed only high protein wet food.;)

5. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Which would make sense since before this whole conversation she said she couldn't understand how her cat was losing weight when eating all that food.. Urgh.. You wouldn't think she'd actually seen a vet! Unless the vets useless aswell.

She's very much the 'won't be told what is best' type.. She thinks she knows everything :mad:

6. firstprincess

firstprincess PetForums Member

Poor kitty.

Whiskas contains lots of sugar, possilbe the worst food this cat could be on.

Maybe try putting it in terms of.... u would spend less on vet treatment if u tried a better formulated diet?

7. mobykhan

mobykhan PetForums Junior

I don't have any problems recommending / educating people about cat food. I have very limited knowledge of it myself to be honest but I really think it is down to pet owners educating themselves. I only learnt about the low meat content in Whiskas because I was curious about what was actually in it. I then switched to Iams temporarily before going over to Grau Gourmet & Animonda Carny for the wet food and Orijen for dry food. (Thanks to the A-Z guide!)

I personally wouldn't push it if it's your boss, it really depends how your relationship with her is. I wouldn't worry about coming across snobbish - you'd think you would come across that you cared about your cats enough to make an effort with their food right? If one of her cats has become diabetic and is eating more you'd think she would research something about cat food or even speak to her vet. If she goes on about it again, you could print off the A-Z like dougal22 suggested or the link like paddypaws suggested.

I have many clients with cats - and alot of them long-term, multiple cat owners with alot more experience than me - but they all seem to feed their cats supermarket branded food. And to be honest, their cats have lived many years so they say why change? Others get a little worried and some say they give them raw meat sometimes too but I have failed to get anyone to even look online at the A-Z or do any research at all! (These are long-term client friends of 5/6 years and trust me :) ) But no, I don't think I've got through to anyone to research about cat food at all (and I am quite persuasive!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice