UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Advise sought - 4 month old flat coat retriever

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Sleeping_Lion 
I would be a little concerned that the breeder let the pup go knowing it had had a colitis type diarrhoea in the home environment too!? I think I would have the vet do a feacal lab test just to rule out giardia, campylobacter or parasites as sleeping lion suggests.

As for diet I would try to stick with one food now you have found one that suits her tummy, I don't think JWB is an expensive food to be honest, it's one of the better kibbles available.

Knowing what I know now about raw food I would change any new pup into my household straight onto raw but of this isn't an option for you then I would stick with the JWB and if the diarrhoea starts again have a feacal sample tested. Campylobacter and giardia both settle down for a few days producing solid poops, then flare up again, the pattern repeats until the Protozoa are killed off usually with an antibiotic called metronidazole. X

Would love to see photos of your pup as I love flat coats! :D

Hope all tummy trouble settles soon. X X

As for early rising my 2 year old goes to bed around 10-11pm and still 'knocks' on the door to go out at 6am 7 days a week!! ... Cheeky boy, has a wee, breakfast then goes back to sleep!! :001_tt2: ;) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.