Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advise on lone rat :(

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by momentofmadness, Mar 29, 2011.

1. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Well He isn't a lone Rat yet.. But am really worried he is gonna be..

You guys know I did the split 4 quiet ones went to new cage.. well end of last week I took squeaky out of Jason and Rhoddi's cage cause I thought they were bashing him.. he had some sores.. so I bathed him and popped him with the quiet ones and all was well.. He has always kept himself to himself.. and sometimes I swear he does it all for my benefit...

But my nan and mum came today and I shouted him and he comes over all excited.. I wouldn't mind he isnt the best to handle.. very quick and all over the place.. well he looks excited to see us all and we were chatting.. Then he made a nest in the bottom of the cage and went to sleep on his own.. He has done this a few time now. Its really worrying specially seen as I have just gone down and fed them some rice and noticed he has a couple of new marks... He isn't over grooming or scratting..

He has always been a bit of a loner.. and as you guys know used to squeal if he was approached... He still does every now and again... I just worry whether he is happy?

Any advice guys.. He isn't nasty but a very defensive guy..

2. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

No advice hun but i hope you figure something out soon (((hugs)))

3. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

hey,are u sure he's not got mites?
    u can usually tell if he has little scabs all around his neck!
    if he has u need beapher spot on the rabbit and ferret one which is also for rats.

if not then i'd leave him as he is for now and just keep an eye on him and the others.

4. momentofmadness

Only scabs are on is back.. and some ar like teeth scrapes.. Ive had one off hem when one has panicked.. Not bitten me but as they have quickly shifted teeth caught me and left a mark.. :( No one else has a mark.. just him.. :( right down his back..
    Ive got mite treatment in.. but I dont think it is.. He is quite a loner occasionally going for a cuddle with them.:(
    And he has got more and more friendly with me.. to the point he gets very excited when I call him.. I got him out last night and he was quite calm hugging me.. :) which usually he is quite mental screeching..

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Bang and Bitsy are both loners, they do interact with the others but only as much as they want to, they sleep alone in the lower part of the cage and they seem happy enough with their lives, I think its just like some people are happy to be on their own. They certainly still get plenty out of being with other rats because they get groomed and they do sleep with the others when they choose to. All mine are in the two same sex groups and they do have scrapes now and again (well the boys do but the girls are far too demure for all that lark) but as long as there is no serious injuries or any obvious bullying Im going to leave them all together.

6. momentofmadness

Im going to follow your actions and keep a close eye.. :)

You just don' like seeing one alone do you.. :( I felt real sad for him yesterday when he did it.. It was like he was making a point the cheeky little rat.. :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice