Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advise on knowing when it's time, and dealing with comfort of an ill dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Amber Rose, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Amber Rose

Amber Rose PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm completely new to writing in a fourm. Let me first explain...

**GRAPHIC IMAGE ATTACHED**

I'm currently own a dog which belonged to my dad, he's been in my family since I was 9. He's a collie cross lurcher and he's 13, 14 in October (5 months). My dad passed away a year and a half ago and Barker (the dog) was already ill I believe my dad hoped for him to go before him, but he's a strong dog, just like my dad. He had a lump on his leg, which began, I believe in 2013, so 4 years ago. I took him to the vets to know what was going on, and basically they said they could take the leg or cut away at the lump, it annoyed me because we got other opinions and they said the same but some said he probably wouldn't make the operation and some said he would, so we opted to remove the lump and if it grew back remove the leg. It grew back as we knew it would, but the vet said it had spread to his neck glands (it is cancer and it's either of the blood or nurves) so taking the leg was advised against, also he was diagnosed with arthritis. We moved, and the new vets have said, they could remove the lump on his leg but he won't last more than a few months because of the strain on his body. He's on medication 3 times a day, he was so energetic when I first got him and that's gone, even 6 months ago he was happy. He sleeps all the time, when he's not sleeping he's licking/chewing the lump and being told off for it, he can manage one walk a day which takes half hour but would of taken him 10/15 mins. Writing it now I know it's comming to that point, I am young and I've never dealt with this before, it's really hard. But today I noticed it's oozing, it's been red since we left him home alone for a few hours the other day and today I stopped him licking and it's oozing. Is there anything I can give him, like cream to stop it itching or, would it be more comfortable in dressing? Anything I can do to relax him? Any advise full stop really, how do I make his final few weeks comfortable. I honestly don't think I can bring myself to do it.

He also struggles getting up sometimes, and doesn't handle stairs very well because of his arthritis, and doesn't struggle with waste issues ie going in the house but does struggles going for a poo, in the concept of 'sitting' in it and can't get back up so you have to support his back when he goes.

Attached Files:

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It's the hardest decision you will ever have to make. Do you think you know what your dad would have done?

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Sad and difficult as it is, you should try to come to terms with letting him go.

It doesn't sound as though he has much quality of life and, as he has cancer, things are only going to get worse for him.

It is always a horrible decision to have to make but giving him a peaceful and dignified end is the kindest thing you can do for him.

Burrowzig likes this.
  4. Keith 66

Keith 66 PetForums Junior

We had our last dog Zip pts last september aged 14 & it broke our hearts. He had been steadily going downhill for about a year & one day i came downstairs & he was nowhere to be seen. I found him hidden away in the conservatory & he had lost control of all four legs. We took him to the vet & either a stroke or vestibular disease was the suggested cause. We brought him home but over the day he got worse & lost control of his bladder & wet his bed. He was terrified & we had to carry him outside.
    I will never forget the look he gave me. I sat at the phone for an hour before i dared to call the vet again & shortly afterwards took him down there.
    My wife & son held each other while i held Zip in my arms as the vet did the deed. We all cried. I felt like judas escariot & could not speak to anyone for days. Only you will know when its time but dont leave it too long.
    It is the price we pay for having them in our lives.

5. Amber Rose

Amber Rose PetForums Newbie

Gosh that's really touching Keith 66! I'm sorry and just the thought of him like that breaks my heart and like I said, typing that out kind of made it click for me, I have no idea what my dad would of done tbh, but that's probably why I'm pushing on so much, I'm still going to wait a few weeks I think but I definitely feel more at peace thinking about it rather than burying my head in the sand, thank you.

Keith 66 likes this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The size and soreness of that lump, Barker must be in a lot of pain. Surely your Dad wouldn't have watched him suffer any more - as you shouldn't.

Rafa likes this.
  7. Jayne and sammy senorita

Jayne and sammy senorita Jayne, sammy and connie

So sorry to hear what you are going through it is heart breaking to lose your dad and now having to face this decision. We had to say good bye to our gorgeous Patterdale Rhody in November. He too had cancer lymphoma and it was very aggressive. He had steroids for 4 weeks to help but it was too bad. We spent those last week's sleeping downstairs with him, me, my hubby and teen son took in turns. His last day was very special, all fav foods a last ride in my car roof down all wrapped up. The vet came to our home in the evening and he passed on his bed surrounded by love, his toys and having a last custard cream. He was only 9yrs old.
    You will know in your heart when it is right and think what your dad would have wanted.
    Be brave and when the time comes, make sure you lock eyes and smile even though your heart is breaking make sure the last thing seen are not tears.
    Send you much love. Xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice