Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advise on Child and Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Rdoig, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Rdoig

Rdoig PetForums Newbie

Hi All

I am sure that the following has been posted before but I would love some advise on how to allow my Staffie (6 yr old Male) and my daughter (10months) to interact.
    We had a situation where my daughter was playing on the floor at my husbands feet and Rocco was lying close by. He turned and snapped at her, I am not sure what happened (i swear i only looked away for a second) she may have touched him or it may be because she was in between him and my husband.

I would NEVER have thought that he would be the one to react like that but i have also in retrospect noticed certain behaviour that should have rung some bells. Rocco will always try and take a place between us and our daughter (we do shoo him away) and he wants attention when we are all playing on the carpet.

I do try at all times to not let her touch /pinch/stroke the dogs but she does have a facination with them. And i never, for a second leave her alone with them.

I would like to know what steps i can take to ensure that the dogs ( i have 2 x labbies as well) know there place in the pack and how to react if this should happen again.
    What should i be doing to have a happy home with them All.

Regards
    Reinet

2. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

It seems a daft thing to do but it is the most sensible to have the dogs and the child together and make sure that they are not excluded when the child is around.

When you are interacting with your daughter on the floor or where ever then have the dogs in the same room. Don't allow them to become too boisterous and playful but reward their calm behaviour, their gentle enquiries and most of all their patience with her.

It sounds as though you have had the dogs longer than you have had your daughter so they will be used to having your attention but what they donp;t understand is that another life needs your attention also so they are just trying to keep their place int he attention pecking order of things. The last you want to do is to shut the dogs away when you have your daughter to attend to as they will come to associate your daughter with negative experiences.

You are in effect teaching the dogs a whole new experience and so you need to reward the behaviour you desire from them in order for them to give you more of what you desire. Try to minimise the opportunity your daughter has to poke, pull and excite the dogs, which will be a task in itself, and condition them to realise that sure there is a new and exciting being in the house that is a competitor for your attention but given the right approach, the right training and the shared attention they will come to accept her for who she is - a member of their family.

If they can take a treat gently then when your daughter is old enough allow her to give the treat to the dogs but only when you call the dog over. While your daughter is sleeping in the same room do some training with the dogs. Just because the new being is int he room doesn't mean they aren't going to get the same rights to you, they just have to learn that those rights come on your terms.

Add a bit of training, conditioning and small changes to your routine and you won't go far wrong. Keep doing as you are in not taking your eyes off them for a moment during these first stages and your daughter will grow up with some wonderful companions and vice versa.

3. Rdoig

Rdoig PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advise. Just what i needed to hear.

I have had my dogs longer and they are a part of the family. Please could you suggest some specifics when you mention... "Add a bit of training, conditioning and small changes to your routine".

4. chrissie-h

chrissie-h PetForums Junior

Worth a mention - the book 'Safe and Sound with Child and Dog' by Dagmar Cutka is a useful read x

5. leashedForLife

there are excellent books on this very topic, doig - :)

see the local library for living with kids + dogs by *colleen pilar*
    Living with Kids and Dogs - Parenting Secrets for a Safe and Happy Home

and see the shorter child proofing your dog by *killcommons*
    Amazon.com: Childproofing Your Dog: A Complete Guide to Preparing Your Dog for the Children in Your Life (9780446670166): Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson: Books

on-line there are doggone safe
    Doggone Safe - Home
    and Dogs and storks
    Dogs&Storks.com

there is an audio of FAQs on Dogs + Storks.
    happy training - the kids are harder ;)
    --- terry

6. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Training - when the baby is asleep or whilst she is active with the OH do a few littel trainign training sessions with the dogs. Stuff they know is fine but he just gives them a bit fo attention with the baby int he room and them not having to make a big deal out of being first in line.

Condition - allow them to be around you and the baby when you are interacting but they must be taught to wait for their attention so satrt of with getting them to sit and wait for 10 seconds, then 20, then 30 then a minute, then 2 mins and they begin to realise that they will get attention but it will be on your terms and they know what they can do without being shut out of the room completely - sit and wait nicely.

Small changes - move the baby's bed into the lounge for a bit so she can sleep and you can train the dogs at the sametime, use your time witht he baby to train the dogs to sit and wait. Just little changes that get it across to the dogs that it is not a competition.

Hope that clarifies it a little bit.

I would get a book though and it will give you ideas on what you can do etc.

Congratulations on the baby by the way :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice