Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advise on changing food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by creativesam, Nov 11, 2012.

1. creativesam

creativesam PetForums Junior

Hi I currently feed my dog JWB fish and rice adult. He loves it and has the shiniest coat, but....

he is also getting a problem when out with some dogs and i have heard it can make them aggressive and hyper. So I would like to try something else. It needs to be good quality and be dairy and preferably wheat free. He has also been itching alot lately, though that could be down to washing powder, I think he has a problem with one brand, seems better with non bio, but worth thinking about with the food

I just figured it would be worth trialling something else for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks

Sammy

#1 creativesam, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. creativesam

Sorry but can anyone advise, i have been going around in circles trying to find and alternative

Thanks

Sammy

3. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I had Maisie on this after trying loads of things to try to get her tummy to settle after I got her (she suffers bouts of colitis).

It worked!

However, I've never personally been a fan of the brand and I'm afraid I think it's hugely overpriced for what it is.

I looked at some alternatives but a lot of them had potato in and I really wanted to stick to Fish & Rice as this has suited her so well.

We've now made the transition to Skinners Salmon & Rice and (fingers and everything crossed:cool:) - it's gone really well and her tummy is still absolutely fine :)

Skinners Dog Food | Salmon & Rice

Hypoallergenic food & much better (IMHO) value for money at £26.99 online (with discount if you place a regular/reoccurring order)

A couple of Fish & Potato alternatives that may be of interest are:

Wainwright's Adult Complete Dog Food with Salmon and Potato 15kg | Pets at Home - also comes in a Light version which may be good for some!

Fishmongers Adult Dog Food with Salmon and Potato 10kg by Pets at Home | Pets at Home

HTH & best of luck

4. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

My dog's been on JWB years and it's never given her aggression issues. i can't see how? It's all hypoallergenic there's no beef, wheat etc

Does he have any treats that are brightly coloured like the cheap and cheerful brightly coloured chews that are about in green, brown, red etc? They are more likely to be the source if so..or human tidbits??

No point giving them hypoallergenic foods then adding all the things back in their diets via treats!

5. creativesam

Lilylass, I hadn't heard of Skinners, i will look them up thanks.

Incathepup, He has JWB treats as well, or natural pork strips, and basted rawhides.

I won't let him near colourings, can't for the life of me imagine why they need to be brightly coloured. As to titbits, try not to allow too many, although the monkey stole 4 sausages from someone at the park, which were about to be shared out, ran off and ate them, paper wrapping as well.:eek:

I have been looking at reviews online and there are a fair few about reactions to it and to be honest I thought it strange as it is hyperallergenic.

It may be just a behaviour thing, but it is getting worse. I just need to eliinate the food first.

What about fish4dogs, would that be a good alternative

Thanks

Sammy

6. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

sausage is ok its meat - maybe without the paper next time though..lol!

But I meant like biscuits that might be high in sugar or crisps high in salt, fat. etc.

Inca likes toast but my bread is gluten free as I have a wheat allergy myself and its a no nut zone so no peanut butter in her kongs either!

I tried Inca on fish4dogs treats but she didn't seem to like the textures, she doesn't like stagbars which are meant to be healthy but likes pizzle sticks and pigs ears!

#6 IncaThePup, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice