Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advise needed please! Worried mum :(

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Anxious mamma, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Anxious mamma

Anxious mamma PetForums Newbie

Hi, I'm new to the site and just needed a little bit of advise if someone is kind enough to help.
    My lovely girl started going into stage 1 labour 3.30 yesterday and has been restless /nesting throughout the night. We've had a bit of panting and lying on her side and generally looking uncomfortable etc.
    This morning she was a bit brighter but has now come out of her whelping box. She is panting heavily and licking her vulva constantly. I presumed we were starting stage 2 but I have noticed she is bleeding a little from her vulva. IS THIS NORMAL?????? No pushing yet.
    This is her second litter but we never had this with her first. She is on day 65 today from first mating.
    I should add that the blood is a browny red colour.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If she were mine, I'd have her to the vets asap. Any coloured discharge and I'd be worried.

3. Anxious mamma

I'll call the now! Thank you!

4. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

I had this with my girl on Monday and while I was on phone to vet it started coming green we had to go straight in and eventually ended up with c section! He said to me that all you should really see apart from the plug is her waters, anything else and to ring and double check good luck let us know how u get on x

5. love our big babies

love our big babies PetForums Member

Definitely call the vet. Don't hesitate, any discharge that's is "off" always seek the vet hun. Good luck let us know how you and your girl get on x

6. Anxious mamma

Thank you so much for your replies! A quick update .....
    I called the emergency vet straight away . He said to bring her in to the surgery at 8.
    The vet examined and scanned my girl and said the puppies were the right size for labour and heartbeats seen. He couldn't tell me how many pups as they they were lying onto of one another but thought maybe three or four. He said my dog had a low temperature so that was good. He said he didn't want to give a shot of oxytocin in case she was not completely dilated. He also :sad:said that he was a bit concerned about the blood but said it could be a little tear in the uterus but pups seemed fine so He sent us home and basically said if no puppies arrive by tomorrow then call back then.
    Since then my girl has just been lying in her whelping box. She has had 5 minutes of panting/ nesting again when we got home again at 10.30 but nothing since. I can't see any contractions and she definitely isn't pushing.
    Today is day 65 from first mating (63 from second). I'm really worried that she should have started pushing by now. Am I just being an over protective mum? The vet was a locum and he didn't fill me with confidence :(
    Anyone shed some light for me? Thank you.

7. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

If you're not happy get a second opinion asap, if you leave it too long you could loose the lot if there is a problem that has been missed - most vets know little about whelping so if in doubt get another vet out.

8. I love springers

I love springers PetForums Senior

I agree about getting a second opinion, Especially as you don't sound completely happy with the first vet.

Good luck and we need piccie when the little pupsters arrive :D

9. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

i'd be getting a 2nd opinion as well if i were you- you know your girl better than any locum can, and if you feel something isn't right then you need to speak to another vet- even if it's just on the phone... speaking to a vet that doesn't inspire much confidence if often worse than not speaking to one at all!
    keep us posted please!

10. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

i'd be happy with a piccie of momma for now though! ;)

11. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

Please please please get a second opinion if u think its not right. Back in December/January I took my girl to vets cos he had been in season and a week after had become floppy off food, loosing 10kg. I went to vet who said shed an infection gave her anti sickness and antibiotics. I asked the vet if it coud be onset of pyo. No no was the answer certainly not. Told me to leave her 72 hours to let jabs kick in. Within the first 12 hours I had her back go another vet and spayed at 3 in the morning. He said the pyo was the worst he'd seen and 12 hours shed be dead. I know this is totally not related but what I'm saying is trust your judgement. On Monday I knew my girl wasnt right and would not have waited to see if anything happened I wanted my girl safe and them puppies out. My new ver has seen me quiet alot and actually asked me what my gut instinct was. You know when something isn't right and its easy to thing well the vet said this or that. But sadly they are only human and can and do get it wrong. I really hope she's ok a d out of pain and suffering. Good luck x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice