Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advise needed new cage,behavior

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by potfiction, Aug 5, 2009.

1. potfiction

potfiction PetForums Newbie

hi guys.i have two dwarf hamsters from the same litter.i got them 4 days ago.today i got them new big 3 story cage,cause the other was small.to move all their stuff i put them in their balls for bout 12 mins while moving all their stuff.after putting them one by one into the new cage they were very agressive towards eachother and had a few fights.but has calmed down a little now.the one also ran alot on his wheel and then he just sat in one of the pipes very still for long.he then again runs and sit.is this normal,do i need to do something.
    it seems that the fighting has gone away a bit.they just squuek when they pass eachother in a pipe now,or if they run into eachother.is that normal.one does not run to the other with the purpose to fight it seems,also how do u tell the dfference between play and real fighting.is it normal for one of them to build the nest?i know its lots of questions.thanks again
    please help asap.

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Cages on more than one level are not advised for Dwarfes as they can cause fights when they get territorial over a specific level. If they have settled down you might be lucky and it was just because they were stressed going into a new cage. I would scatter feed and remove the food bowls as that can also cause them to be territorial, they will also need a bed/house each,. a water bottle each and a wheel each as these can be hot spots that cause disputes. What type of Dwarfes are they as some are better than others at living together.

3. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Remove them from each other! They are reaching maturity and won't live together! Hamsters aren't suposed to live together contrary to what the internet says! Are they girls.... if so the fighting will be worse! Most times, if you get them from a pet shop, they all call them russians, when in actual fact there are 2 different species, Winter White and Campbells, normally they wouldn't even meet each other as they are from different parts of russia. Pet shops lob them in all together and I assure you soon there will be full on fighting. I had that with Ella and Izzy, Ella killed Izzy, dragged her out of her their nest and started to eat her! I advise separate them before its too late!

4. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i have two females together and they are brilliant even though there are males around aswel.

they have the odd little argyment over food but other than thet they are fine, in my eyes the skweeking is just one telling the other who is in charge.

my two females have one house, one food bowl, one water bowl but they do also get scatter feeds. but they dont have a wheel

ide say leave them be if they havent actually caused harm to each other then they should be fine.

but do keep a close eye on them for a while as i placed my two males back together the other day and they were fine at first but after a few hours one was actually going after the other just to cause an argyment so i seperted them.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Apparently you will have more chance of keeping Campbells together than any other species, even more so if they are girls, and even more so if they are closely related so I am keeping my fingers crossed for my little trio of Campbells but I still have 2 spare cages at the ready as keeping dwarfs together so often fails.

6. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

mine are winter whites

7. potfiction

potfiction PetForums Newbie

hey guys,thanks for all the advice,they are winter whites.
    they seemed to have gotten alot better,
    the dominant one has just started going white now.
    Luckily i got two of everything in the cage,exept an house,they really love to sleep and snuggle in it together it seems.
    so fingers crossed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice