Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MandyandAngel, Jun 28, 2009.

1. MandyandAngel

MandyandAngel PetForums Newbie

I am not sure if i should ask about this because i don't want to upset anyone but i am needing advice so here goes.

We have been feeding Angel raw every other day and we vary what we give her. We give her chicken, liver, hearts,beef, lamb and also prize chioce rabbit dinner which consists of rabbit and chicken mince. We have been told that feeding her raw rabbit will give her tape worm, so was wondering if this was true or not. She has been feed this 6 times and she seems ok so just wondering.

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I've just gone over to raw My vet told me to worm as nomal:D

3. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Personally, although I don't feed raw, I wouldn't worry as long as you worm as normal.

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

cant see any problem with rabbit at all, my first dog had it all the time(fresh:eek:hmy:) and we had no problems with him what so ever, if i could get hold of rabbit now i would feed my two it no problem, but as the prize choice have chicken in with it, i am unable to

juliex

5. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

wild rabbits tend to have tapeworm cysts on the liver.
    It would take at least 6 week for a tape worm to go from cyst to adult once consumed.
    Again as above I would stk to worming once every 3 month unless I had suspicion that my dog had become reinfected sooner.
    Remember oral wormers will only kill any adult worms at the time of worming, as the gut is constantly moving stuff through, this is why you keep having to reworm.
    BTW I have an idea that most rabbits used in the petfood industry would be captive bred and would therefore unlikely have tapeworm cyst unlike the wild ones?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice