UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rabbit leaves some pellets but all the hay i put in for bedding he eats i put in extra and he eats that also. Its great to see him eating but he eats all his bedding also and im not sure on what to do :mad:

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Just keep piling in the hay! Hay should be a rabbit's main food, so it's great that bunny eats it. It will really help keep teeth and gut in good shape.

We use underbed storage boxes as litter trays, and fill them with hay - rabbits poo as they eat, but often poo in just one corner. Add more hay each day too. You can also put a hay rack above the litter tray.

Then an average size bunny should only need an egg cup full of pellets a day - something like Science Selective - you can scatter them in the hay to make it more interesting for them. They don't need a big bowlof pellets - unless they are very young, or are underweight/have other issues.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe that where we have gone wrong far to much pellets we been given him been filling his bowl up with pellets.

We get our hay from pets at home, might shop around?

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
We buy it by the bale form local farms - it is much cheaper. But do check quality before you buy - our people are used to us plunging our noses into hale bales to check it's nice and sweet smelling!

Alternatively, you can order form Hay Experts - much more expensive though.

and yes - no need to fill the bowl with pellets. As ong as they have hay, they have food, and it is hay that wears their teeth down.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
you really only want to feed an egg cup of pellets a day

then unlimited hay twice a day

Its worth shopping around for hay, if you have the space buying bales works out very cheaply

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in the countryside south downs, but really have no idea where to go to look for hay, i have a local pet store who sell hay but it looks rubbish and the huge garden centre down the bottom sell rabbits and food etc.... but again looks like the same supplier as the pet store in town.

Pets at home are winning at the moment.

Lindsey has a few weeks left now, bunni is good and happy again we took him to the vets, and said that he is perfectly healthy, we are looking in the next few months probs feb/march to bring in another rabbit to keep him company (finances then wont be a worry).Im worried about age gaps between rabbits but my rabbit is a very small not much bigger than the rabbits that the pet store are selling now.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Have a look what farms are around and give them a call to see if they sell hay by the bale. Fresh farm hay tends to be much nicer than shop bought stuff.

As for age differences it doesn't matter. I have an 8 year old with a 3 and 4 year old. I would go to rescue for the next one so they can find a good personality match and help with bonding.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
We too get our hay by the bale -so much fresher, so much cheaper.

It took a while to find the right farm, and we still check each bale. They get used to us plunging our noses into the hay to check it is sweet smelling and not musty!

So, if you've got somewhere to store it, checkout local farms and animal feed places. There is bound to be one near you. We have a local animal food store that will deliver for free, so you may strike lucky.

A good way to transport in a car is to put tarpaulin down, and to put the bale in a spare duvet cover before it goes near the car.

I'd also strongly recommend a rescue bunny friend when you are ready - they are likely to be neutered/spayed, the rescue will know their temperament and will help you find the right match for yours - there is nothing worse than buying a friend, only to find the rabbits don't like each other, leaving you with 2 singles.

Our local rescue let you date your bunny with others to find the most promising pairing, then they let you foster until the bond is firm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.