Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice would be great

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kitty_pig, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Ive been told my new kitten wont be getting its first innoculations before it comes to me (owner has various reasons mainly relating to cost I think). The kitten was a shock delivery (owner thought mum had been spayed, she will be once babies are all able to go).

I don't have a problem arranging innoculation but should I do this before before I actually get the kitten or am I safe to wait until it is actually with me?

how will my vet react to me getting the kittens first injection etc? I know normally theyre done before they leave the mum but my new kitty wont be getting his/hers until at least 8 weeks old. Im worried it may be at risk :(

Also how old does the kitten have to be before I can get it microchipped?

Thank you in advance xxx

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Can you not give the current owner the money for your kittens jab and ask her for proof of innoculation. If she is a nice genuine person this shouldnt be a problem. I think they usually have one at around 5-6 weeks but I could be wrong on that count as I do not breed. I believe the second jab is 9 weeks and really should still be with mum at that point. I can see you know 8 weeks is the absolute minimum, 10-12 is much better.

My kittens were microchipped at 6 months. As they shouldnt be going outside before then you shouldnt have to get them done before, I got mine done with neutering as although its not painful it is a big needle so thought it best to get it done whilst they were under. However I do know kittens which come microchipped so I imagine you can get it done whenever...

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi Kitty_pig.How old is your kitten going to be when you are expected to take it away from its mum and littermates.As gloworm*mushroom says they should ideally stay with mum till 12/13 weeks old and be fully vaccinated.If the person you are getting the kitten from is willing it would be much better ,if she allows you to have it vaccinated before you bring it home.You could take it yourself and then give it back to her till its next vaccination which is usually 3 weeks later.I think vets can vary slightly so best to check with your own vet at what age they will start the vacc.course.My vet is 9weeks and then 12 weeks.With regard to micro chip most vete preferr not to do this at the same time as the vaccination and will leave it until the neutering op.It is entirely up to you and the vet if you feel happier having it done early then ask your vets advice.Mine was done at 4 months .

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I was also going to suggest that you pay for the innoculations, and if your kitten can stay with the breeder until he/she is 12 wks old, this will be better for them in terms of development, behaviour etc. My cats were innoculated by their breeder at 9 and 12 wks and came to me at 13-14 wks.

With regards to microchipping, all of mine were done at the same time as neuter/spay.

Good luck with your new kitten :)

5. gloworm*mushroom

Looks like 9 and 12 is normal then, now wonder so many people want shot of kittens at 8 weeks (not that I imagine theyd planned on vaccinating them anyway :rolleyes: ) Thanks Dougal and buffie.

6. pinkfluffyballs

pinkfluffyballs PetForums Member

Most people are unwilling to vaccinate kittens now so it is quite the norm. I took Eric at about 12-14 weeks and he was fine. With the vaccinations costing £50-60 (or £99 for life at vets4pets) it is not suprising that if was a suprise litter they won't pay out for several kittens.

As long as the kitten is indoors until you get the appointment is booked with the vet you should be fine!

7. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

You hit the nail right on the head there GWM :)

8. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

But breeders could incorporate the cost of the vaccs in the charge for the kitten? People have to pay for the vaccs anyway, so they shouldn't have a problem paying the breeder to get them done, so long as they have proof in the vacc certificate that they've been carried out in full :)

9. gloworm*mushroom

Genuine question as I am new to many aspects of this. What do you mean by the norm? Thats its normal for people to get their kittens vaccinated later?

I agree it may now be 'normal' due to unscrupulous breeders, but surely it is best for the kittens to get them at 9 weeks, and as the OP seems aware of this and more than willing to pay and get this done for herself, I think she should do it at the 'proper' times rather than the skewed norms due to BYbreeders.

10. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

The same as above, Molly wasnt vaccinated when we got her at 13 weeks ..... we booked her in straight away and got her sorted with no problems.

I know it wasnt the 'proper' way but it's the way it was.

We havent had her micro chipped yet, she is an indoor cat with no possible route for escape! If ever we move and there is a chance she would get out, I will do it then :)

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

BYB will rarely keep kittens beyond 9 weeks therefore they go un vaccinated.Majority of moggy litters are sold/given away from 6 weeks onwards.The only kittens that "normally" will be with their breeder until 12/13 weeks old will be the kittens from ethical breeders who do everything correctly,not just vaccinating them.

12. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

GWM - you might find this link interesting. Just a brief overview of vaccs/time schedules recommended for kittens in the UK.

Vaccinations

13. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

Thank you very much for the advice.

Buffie I think the owner is prepared to let me have the kitten from 12 weeks. She is my friend, so I could deffo give her the money for the first innoculations (I dont know why I didnt think of that - duh lol).

Pinkfluffyballs I dont know why but I expected them to be more expensive than £50 - £60 so thats a bit of a relief :) Kitten will definitly be an indoor cat until it has been neutered I dont want it copying its mummy or daddy.

Dougal that was why the cat I adopted from the shelter (the feral I had to return) was £85 because she had been spayed and innoculated wormed etc.

gloworm*mushroom I'm completely prepared to pay for them myself :) probably sounds daft but I already see it as my kitten :blushing:

14. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

Do your vets do a 'pet plan', they probably all call it something different but my vet do a service where you pay a certain amount every month instead of paying big chunks out here and there or when you first get the kitten. Here its £14 odd for a boy and £15/16 for a girl kitten up to 12 months in age and that includes initial vaccinations, monthly worming and flea treatments, netuering, microchipping, 2 check ups, and money off other stuff.

I got mine when he was 13 weeks so that one doesn't work for me but might be worth seeing kd your vet do something similar and then you could register him and take him for his jabs and hopefully your friend would let kitty stay with mum a bit longer.

15. Kitty_pig

Kitty_pig PetForums VIP

thank you Dom. Im not too sure if they do that. We didnt have anything like that for our current pets, but its worth a shot. Think I will give them a call and see whats what :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice