Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice wanted please......

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Mollyspringer, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mollyspringer

Mollyspringer PetForums Senior

Hi, as some of you know, I have a 10month old English Springer, Molly. She's doing fine, well almost. Knows the basics, recall is amazing, gets 2 off lead walks a day for nearly an hour each time. Is very loving and is good with the grandchildren (as long as there is no food about!). The only problem we have with her is this: she'll come up to one of us for some attention and be stroked, tail wagging. After a couple of minutes she'll start growling (bumbling I call it) and then she'll bark at us. Sounds silly now I've written it down! She can't be doing it for attention and I'm sure she doesn't mean it maliciously (usually her tail is still wagging). We usually deal with it by putting her on her house lead.
    Does anyone have any idea why she may be doing this? She's not hungry or in pain, like I said, she can't be doing it for attention-she does it when she's getting the attention!!
    Any thoughts will be gladly received x

2. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

I'm having a similar problem! I have a 12 week old Cavalier and if she's sleeping on my knee and I have to pick her up to move her because I need to get up she makes like a rumbley growl. It doesn't sound nasty I just presume its because she's grumpy because I have woken her up! She also sometimes does the same growl if I'm fussing her (especially around her ears which is her favourite itchy spot) but she's wagging her tail while she's doing her grumble. I can't figure out whether she is trying to be dominant or whether she's just vocal!

3. Mollyspringer

Phew, glad it's not just us! I'm the same-can't make out if it's dominance or vocal!! I'm hoping someone will tell us!x

4. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I am a novice, but i think these two things are different, moving a dog when asleep they are just letting you know that they arent too happy at being moved without warning.

The grumbling when playing/being stroked one of our ESS does this and it seems more pleasure based and them trying to talk to you to say they are happy and want more. Ours has never seemed aggressive or that it is anymore than a verbal interaction with us.

He will give a small growly sound if moved when not expecting it sometimes and is in a deep relaxed sleep.

5. Mollyspringer

Thank you Rolo's Mum. We were getting a bit worried. Now you've put it like that, it does seem like she's asking for more! I've noticed she does it more with me-probably because I'm the one who gives her most attention-I just can't help it!xx

6. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

My gsd does it all the time and she's nearly 4 !! I have always assumed it for attention and she feels she is being ignored but she has always been very vocal !!!:D

7. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

Ahhh thanks! I thought it might have been her way of speaking to me, I just found it odd because ive never had a dog thats done it before.

:D

8. springer owner

springer owner PetForums Junior

Yeh I agree with rolosmum here, our ESS Milo does then when you sit down on the couch next to him and when you make a fuss of him he repeatedly barks and paws you afterward..our interpretation he is wanting more lavish attention because he is a complete softie :wink:

9. Mollyspringer

Thank you. I've had collies before and can't remember them doing this. Mind you, I don't think they were as sociable as Molly. I'm hoping to get her to be a PAT dog in a couple of years time, not if she continues to grumble and bumble though!x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice