Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice wanted for second dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emily Applegate, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Emily Applegate

Emily Applegate PetForums Newbie

Hey all,
    So I've been researching the idea for a while now of introducing a second dog to the family. We currently have an 18 month old cavapoo female, spayed and shes a bundle of fun! She absolutely adores other dogs and ALWAYS wants to play. When we go to the park she's interested in every single dog out there and couldn't care less for any human attention!

We do have a busy home life, with a daughter and an older (laid back) cat, she does get one on one attention but this is in short bursts and always snuggles up with us all evening on the sofa. We experienced some issues with separation anxiety in the early days but this has massively improved and no longer cries for us when we go to bed or leave the house - this is a habit I really don't want coming back to haunt us!

I do think she would benefit from the company of another dog in the home, as will we. We are huge animal lovers and fully prepared to take on the commitment and finances of a second dog. My only worries are getting it right and will it work or become a nightmare!

We have tried our best to search for a dog that (based on research), would be compatible for our girl. We have chosen a male miniature dachshund. Around 8 months old. so not a complete baby but young enough to learn and adjust (hopefully), to our family.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and can advise on their experience? We really want to make this work for the whole family and have everyone's best interests at heart, including the new member. The last thing we want is to regret the decision! After looking online, peoples experiences tend to be 50/50 on the situation!!

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

The only alarm bells I hear are....

Going off to play with other dogs and ignoring you; bad enough with one but are you prepared for two dogs to do this, and potentially get into trouble?

Dachshunds’ spines are notoriously vulnerable; does your current girl play rough?

O2.0, MontyMaude, margy and 3 others like this.
  3. Emily Applegate

Hi Linda, thanks for your reply!
    I'd say she probably goes off to play initially, and then comes running back to join me when I've made it clear that's enough and we are moving on or playing frisbee!

She doesn't play rough, she's usually the on to back off if another dog gets too rough. She just loves a good chase. I have taken into consideration the dachshund spines and would not be letting him run up the stairs (we don't let Betty do this either as not keen for dogs on beds!)

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have always been a multi dog family and have always found a new dog fits in fairly seamlessly regardless of age. Some people on here say that two dogs might or might not get on and the best you can hope is that they tolerate each other but I have never had dogs that do not get on well together and they are great company for each other and it makes it easier to leave them on their own for longer periods as they are not alone. If you have chosen the dachsund, is he coming from a rescue or a private rehome. Would you be allowed to have him on trial for a day or so to make sure it is not hate at first sight. Very unlikely with a friendly bitch and a young dog but as well to make sure. Have you been allowed to take them for a walk together.

margy and Amanda Mower like this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I have two and it is definitely extra work but doable. How much do you know about the pup I think as @Blitz said it is a good idea to introduce them and see how they get on. Can you do a trial?

Kakite, Lurcherlad and Amanda Mower like this.
  6. Emily Applegate

Hello!
    The dachshund is from a private home, he was actually the last of the litter so we will meet his mum as well. They are about 2 hours from us, so a trial might be difficult. My plan would be to introduce them in a neutral place, on the local field with lots of space to interact and then bring them both home after getting used to one another. I think I worry most about Betty picking up habits from a younger dog. Toileting, barking etc. and going backwards with her training. Maybe I'm over thinking everything! It's just such an important decision to make!

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Does the dachshund have barking and toileting problems. Do you want a problem dog. At 8 months he should be more or less grown up so what makes you think he will have bad habits. What is the reason he is being rehomed.

margy and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Emily Applegate

Sorry I say this because Betty wasn't fully house trained until 12 months old ! Until then she still had the occasional accident so I half expected for an 8 month old to potentially have accidents. Not aware of him being a problem dog. Hes the last of the litter that they were going to keep and breed from but they changed their minds. He will be neutered once hes old enough if he comes to us

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

It's true, dachshunds can be slow with house training, you will need lots of patience and Simple Solution. ;) You might find he scent marks initially, I reccommend belly bands for that + lots of outside toilet training.
    They like the sound of their own voices but training works to reduce barking responses.
    Don't be in a rush to get him castrated until he's fully mature, at least 2 years old. Early neutered dachshunds are more liable to spinal problems. I also suggest you avoid playing frsbee with himtill fully mature, it's pretty high impact excercise.
    Have a look at ' Dachshund Health'.
    https://www.dachshundhealth.org.uk/

Torin. likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice