Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice wanted for dog owner please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alisha97, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Alisha97

Alisha97 PetForums Newbie

Hello, I’m a 21 year old girl I’m looking to move out of my parents home where we have a beautiful male pit bull had him since a puppy he is very well trained and I have been brought up with this breed as the family pet choice.

I’m wondering that when I move out I can’t take the family dog with me. But am thinking of getting a dog when I move out.

I’m moving into a large flat with a garden and access to parks and fields(also have a car so can take a dog beach/woods etc) so excersise isn’t a problem. But will a Rottweiler brought as a puppy be a good idea? I’ve never owned this breed but will this breed work with me and my life style?

I work 6 hours a day, can pop home on my lunch break I’ll also be living bymyself but have friends some with kids who will come over will this breed of dog be okay with all this? And advice on temperament, training, living with will be very much appreciated. Thank you In advance.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Personally, I’d advise enjoying the total freedom for a while before even thinking of getting a dog tbh ;)

salxx, Happy Paws2, Sairy and 2 others like this.
  3. Alisha97

Alisha97 PetForums Newbie

True but I can’t imagine my life without dogs lol

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Please don't get a puppy at 21. Take on an elderly dog if you really feel you can't live without one - or foster a dog. Reason i say that is your life will undergo more changes in the next 15yrs than in any other time in your life.

And - no - I'm not psychic. But the difference between a 21 yr old and a 36yr old is massive.

Job changes, travel, moving home, having kids, financial ups and downs. It's all going on. The last thing to bring into all that is a puppy.

Enjoy freedom, enjoy being young. Borrow a dog by all means. But don't tie yourself down at 21.

5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Well I am going to buck the trend and say that as we don't know you, age shouldn't necessarily be a barrier to getting a dog. I got quite a demanding breed at 21, but then I was never a 'typical' 21 year old and was doing most of the work for our family dogs. I'm also on the introverted side, and my idea of 'fun' isn't/wasn't going out clubbing, but rather doing dog stuff. So it suited me well, and almost 10 years down the line I still have that dog and another demanding one, so it's plenty doable if you want to make work ;)

BUT I'm not going to lie to you, it IS a tie. A big tie, that effects every aspect of your life. I do feel a little bogged down with it trying to balance them with life, but I think that is the case for everyone who juggles dogs with work/life and isn't exclusive to being a younger dog owner.

Anyway, a Rottie wouldn't necessarily be my first choice of 'first' non family dog. Most of them in this country are show/pet line rather than the 'harder' working type you see more on the Continent. But they are still big powerful dogs, who can cause conflict of opinion, and I think my preference would be for something a little more user friendly. I say that as it can be a bit of a culture shock going from being involved with family dogs to being solely responsible for one.

Teddy-dog and lorilu like this.
  6. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

Hi Op,

A family dog is a completely different kettle of fish to having your own dog. The responsibility you feel can be overwhelming... I was like yourself and always grew up with a dog, When I moved out at 25 I knew eventually I would have one however I knew we couldn't until our family dog passed away as I knew I needed alot help from my parents and it would have been unfair on our older dog to bring a puppy into his life.

Fast forward 3 years and we brought home our pup and it was a stressful, making sure he wasnt being left alone too long, walking before work in the freezing cold or wet mornings and again that night - I couldn just pop to the gym anymore as the dog needed walked and he had been on his own for a while.

Even now I have to be careful and have missed out on a few family events due to leaving him for too long, I have to be careful not too book holidays or trips away when my parents are not available, even days out i.e. weddings where you are away from 10am and not home to early hours you need someone to look after them. I have my parents which is a god send however people are quick to offer but when it comes to doing it , it turns into a hassle , dogs gets set in their own ways so dont settle in other peoples house and puppies are a complete nuisance

At 21 you just don't want to be missing out and being tied down - there is plenty of time for that :) however only you know and I obv dont know your circumstances - this is just my experience.

Another thing to be careful, if you are buying or renting? If you are renting be careful as a lot of places dont like pets ... If you move it sometimes becomes a nightmare.

In terms of the breed and your initial question, I am not sure they are for first time dog owners - they are quite a protective breed if im correct and loyal to their family and can show animal aggression? For a first time dog i personally would consider an easier more manageable breed, they also have massive health problems and like any puppy please ensure you are checking for health tests and reputable breeders if not a rescue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice