UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have a 5 month old flat coat retriever, Meg, who is doing great with her training and now gaining weight following our worms escapade etc...this weekend we have got our 8 week old mini dach, Belle, joined our family.

Obviously her appetite is far smaller than Megs, and my query really is re clicker training. We used the clicker successfully with meg and wanted to start with Belle, once we felt she was settled with us...however, meg is a foodie breed, and her appetite is able to cope with extra treats ( with her sensitive tum we use her regular food) and I am shocked at how little Belle eats,and wondering how we will fair with training treats...any suggestions?

Thanks xx

·
Registered
13,868 Posts
There was a mini Dachsund at the puppy class I help with,, she managed just fine, you did find though coming towards the end of the class she was rather full so less interested in the training.....cheese was her thing :)

you could always use say half of her dinner to train with

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've had my mini dachshund for 4 weeks now, congratulations on getting yours!

Mine loves dehydrated liver and cheese and will do anything for them. I cut back on his meals or skip a meal entirely if he's eaten a lot of training treats. Sometimes if I'm using a lesser value treat (like cooked chicken or shop bought treats) he smells the treat then doesn't take it from my hand, but will carry on doing the good behaviour. I think he likes the click even if the treat isn't up to his standards!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hello

I would have a piece of cheese in my pocket and just rubbed my fingers with the cheese and little guys would just lick my fingers so never really eat the cheese, it worked for me :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Use toys! I've never taken my Mini Daxie to classes, so not had him 'full up', but a good trainer should teach you how to use food correctly so you don't end up filling him up every session.

My daxie will work for a game of tug, it's how I taught him to retrieve, he'll also work for tissues, but I think that's a personal thing whether you like torn up tissues all over the place...

If you do want to use food, use really really tiny pieces, not even pea sized, but make sure they are really, really smelly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the replies...she eats so little it's untrue...like the idea of toys and having cheese in pocket and rubbing fingers with them...will let you know how it goes!
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.