Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice sought about getting companion for 18 month old neutered male cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by JacquelineG, Apr 25, 2011.

1. JacquelineG

JacquelineG PetForums Junior

Can anyone help, please. My daughter and her boyfriend had litter brothers, 18 months old, both neutered. Sadly one of the cats was hit by a car and killed 5 days ago. They are totally devastated. Having 2 female cats myself, who are very territorial, and who can't stand each other, I have suggested they don't get another cat. I thought their remaining cat, Norman, might become very stressed if they introduced a new playmate for him. I have just read a post on here that has suggested that male cats are less territorial than females. Is that correct? They are obviously missing Norman's brother dreadfully and they are very concerned that he is lonely as the brothers were very close, playful and adored each other. I would like to be able to give them accurate information, so they can make an informed and sensible decision. They are most likely to get a rescue cat by the way.

2. dom85

dom85 PetForums Senior

I would definitely not get another cat for a couple of months or so, at least until hes not still showing signs of missing his brother because it will make the introduction more difficult. But it is possible to introduce cats later on, my friend has 5 cats and none of them were bought at the same time.

3. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

Totally agree with this, it's a little too soon, but can work, I introduced a 3 year old male to a male kitten and they were the best of friends, sorry for your loss.

4. JacquelineG

JacquelineG PetForums Junior

Thank you for your replies, I will pass your advice on to them. I think they want to build a cat safe enclosure in their garden before any new addition anyway, and this will also give them time to come to term with the loss of their much loved cat.

5. silverhorse

silverhorse PetForums Member

I had an 18 month old neutered male and bought a female kitten aged 15 weeks . I introduced them slowly using a cage at first for the kitten with a bed and tray in it and when they stopped hissing at one another gradually allowed them to meet. They are the best of friends now and play a lot together . I also have an outside run attached on the side of a garden cabin so when they have built their run then they could start looking.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice