Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice regarding post TTA operation recovery

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dogowner1234, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Dogowner1234

Dogowner1234 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, this is the first time I've posted on here so apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I have a female golden retriever 5.5 years old who had a TTA operation on her left hind leg 7 weeks and 5 days ago. The operation went well and the wound healed very nicely. We followed the strict recovery program of limiting exercise and physiotherapy.

She had her post op xrays last week (week 6 post op) and we were told all looked good at that point in time. The vet prescribed a 2 week course of non-steroid anti-inflammatories to help recovery. We are now leash walking up to 30 minutes per walk (2-3times a day) and appears to be weight bearing 60/40 to her good leg (the one without the operation).

The problem that I have is that when we are at home she acts completely different to when we are walking. She is limping heavily on the operated leg, sometimes hopping around the house on 3 legs.

She is a very jumpy dog and jumps up at the smallest of sounds so we are still keeping her in the crate at night and for a portion of the day. My theory is that her leg is just going dead by not using it when she is in the crate and the walks are taking a big toll on the joint?

My worry is that we no longer do the physio therapy as we were told once they are walking it doesn't need to be done anymore - is this true? Or should I carry this on?

The vet has said that it can take 12-16 weeks for full recovery so perhaps I'm being a bit optimistic here. Has anyone else been in the same situation and particularly had bad walking around the house? I guess I just want to be put at ease that at 7 weeks and 5 days post TTA op, it is normal for a dog to still be limping around the house.

I would ring the Vet but given he didn't raise any concerns at the last appointment it is probably just me being worried. Thank you guys.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice