Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice regarding pitbull puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ducky, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

so a friend of mine's cousin has just got a new puppy. he basically walked into a guys house that he was working on, and was offered a puppy which he took.

the puppys parents (or at least one of them) was an american pitbull terrier. upon taking the puppy to the vets, the vet also said he was certain the dog was a pitbull. but said he was willing to keep treating the dog, and to call him a staffy x, and that he highly suggested that the owner do the same.

my friend is trying to give them as much advice as possible, as well as also saying never to call it a pit, though of course he has told all his mates already.

i dont know the people, but my friend is wary about the pup getting the proper upbringin that it will need. but i said to her, that i think, you are allowed to keep pitbulls aslong as u adhere to certain restrictions?

am i correct in this?

do you contact someone to tell them you have one, but are willing to keep it leashed/muzzled in public etc, be microchipped and all that.
    or am i making that up?

any help?

(just to add, i havent see the dog, so cannot say whether i think he is type or not, i am purely going on what i have been told)

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Sorry I have no idea :( Lol.

If it was me I would be keeping shush about it, why on earth would you tell all your mates!

3. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i dont think they really know much about the whole scenario. my friend has told them to keep quiet though otherwise they may lose the dog.

4. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I'm sure there are experts on here, but my understanding is no you cannot simply keep pitbulls as long as you adhere to certain restrictions.

There is a register for pitbulls, but my understanding is that getting on the register occurs after the pitbull has been seized.

5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

yeah see i thought that might be the case. i knew id read something about it before, but couldnt remember the details.

thanks rocco

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have a solution.
    I shall come and swap said 'pitbull' for the large labrador puppy sat ontop my wardrobe gathering dust :D :lol: Oh how I would love a pit :001_wub:

7. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Have found this info,
    Dogs that are banned in the UK : Directgov - Home and community
    The way i read it , looks like they are banned and am guessing if the vet who is going to ignore that its a pitbull could be struck off
    Did your friend pay for the pup? if so the person who bred it could be making money from it and in the end when found out the dogs will be PTS

#7 hazel pritchard, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  8. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

To be honest, if the poor pup does get seized it's your own friends stupid fault for taking a pup there and then from someone, after already knowing mum was a pitbull.

9. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

You have to get them checked out and they will measure them etc. and make their decision on that I think. If they're labeled 'type' and you get them back ok (not sure how straightforward that is, but I do know of people who have been given the ok by the police), they will need to be neutered, microchipped, leashed and muzzled in public, also insured (?). I'd love the pup to go to PoisonGirl :D He really needs to stop telling people it's a possible Pit Bull/Pit Bill cross...

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Basically it is up to some moron to decide (and we all know how well that goes!) wether the dog is a pit or not, and if he is saying its pit then he will have no proof that it isnt.
    He would get a criminal reccord and a fine and the dog would be pts.

11. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

thanks hazel. il pass on that info.

yes they paid for the puppy. in their defence, i really think they have absolutely no clue about dogs and breeds, they just wanted a puppy. (not that thats an excuse!)

i dont see a bright future though :(

12. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

So sad they paid for pup as i said it may well be the breeder just sees it as a money maker and will keep breeding, would your pal return the pup?would hate them to get attached and then being found out to owning a pitbull and not only having to go through the risk of having pup taken away but could be in trouble with the law, sadly the future could be bleak for the pup and litter mates and parents.

13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Pit Bulls are Banned. It is illegal to breed from, sell, abandon or give away a banned dog.
    Whether your dog is classed as a banned dog depends on what it actually looks like rather than the breed name it is called by. If the dogs characteristics match any of the banned breeds it will be treated as a banned type. It can be seized by the police or a local dog warden or even from a public complaint. In a Public place it can be automatically seized with no warrant. In a private place the police have to get a warrant to enter and seize. Once seized it will be put in kennels with no visiting allowed.
    An expert assessment will follow based on physical characteristics. Following assesment it may be released but if assessed as banned will be kennelled still while the police apply for a court order. If convicted in court a criminal offence will be lodged with a 5000£ fine or 6mths imprisonment. The courts can order the dog to be destroyed. Should they decide it is not a danger to the public they could order to put the dog on the government exemption list, in which case then you would have to do the criteria that you were talking about to keep it.
    As far as I can tell you cant automatically request to put it on the exemption list yourself, it has to be by order of a court.

They were trying to change the DDA laws, but as faw as I know at this point,
    they have not yet been changed, so this law as above still applies as far as I know.

14. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Rocco is correct.

There is an Index of Exempted Dogs upon which pit bull types can be registered but that can only be done by order of the court. It is not a owner-led process. The dog must first be seized, assessed and then deemed suitable to be exempted. There are enough examples of dogs being killed in error or horrendously mistreated during this process that would make me extremely wary of going down the route of declaring my dog to the authorities.

Meanwhile the dog in question is a puppy. It is not a pitbull type nor can it be until it reaches its adult proportions at about 9 months of age. A positive identification cannot take place until the dog is 9 months old although the police can seize the pup and keep it kenneled (in isolation) until it is old enough to be assessed.

There is a possibility that the police could exercise a 'Leave-at-home' policy whereby they seize the dog but leave in the owner's care (subject to strict rules) but this option is at their discretion and is very rarely used - last year the MET police used 'leave-at-home' for less than 5% of cases. They will use it more this year now that money is getting tighter but still not an option you can bank on.

Time for a FACT CHECK - your friend does not know that the parentage is APBT. He may have been told that but many people think they have a pit when they, in fact, do not. He may think the parent was a pit but your friend is not an expert so his opinion is not defintive (nor is the vet who is unlikely to have trained as a breed ID expert either). Your friend doesn't even know what the other parent is and a half-pit, even if it is such, is not a pit bull type per se. The truth is your friend doesn't know what the dog is beyond that it is a bullbreed cross.

He might want to leave things at that. Get the pup chipped, neutered and trained. Be an ambassador for bullbreeds and hope for the best. If he gets into trouble or wants further advice then point him to these guys.

dangerousdogsact.co.uk | Welcome to DDAWatch - Supporting Fair & Effective Dog Laws

#14 Johnderondon, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  15. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

thanks muchly guys. will pass all info onto my friend to pass onto her cousin.

hopefully they will be smart enough to not mention the word pit again!

16. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

:nono::nono::nono: It is still a dog that needs expert handling no some numphty who does not even know what breed it is.

17. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

people make my blood boil sometimes!!!

18. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

19. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

"The Scottish Control of dogs bill does NOT repeal BSL. There has been no change to the ban on breeds. They are still illegal to own unless exempted. Owners with banned breeds run the risk of the dogs being seized and the owners prosecuted."

Source: DDA Watch

20. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't have touched it with a barge poll, be too scared that one day my beautiful dog would be seized and be put through hell in the process.

Since he now has it he'd do best not to tell anyone he thinks it's a pit or cross pit - bit late though as he's already told the vet :rolleyes:
    Judging by Lennox's case yesterday I wouldn't even want to leave the house with it - not until the ridiculous law is changed, if it ever is.

For the time being anyone who asks should be told it's a staff cross, with a lab or boxer maybe and that it was given to him by a bloke down the pub who just wanted rid of it.

Our Council/police seem to be quite good at leaving dogs alone as I have seen many "large staffs" walking with their owners who look just like Lennox, in fact much more pit type but are well controlled and lovely looking dogs. I often wonder if their owners know how easily they can get taken from them but so far there's been nothing in the local press that any have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice