Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice - Rabbit Poo

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ellie Lovatt, May 30, 2019.

1. Ellie Lovatt

Ellie Lovatt PetForums Junior

Me again (extremely cautious rabbit mummy).

Just adopted a new friend for our little man Hugo. She’s a dwarf lop, called Heidi and we got her yesterday. They’ve not met yet but can see eachother from their runs.

Her poos seem rather wet and she doesn’t seem to be eating her pellets although it was the same food she has apparently eaten before. Shes had a little bit of hay and we have little concern in her behaviour (quite quiet but this is probably normal for a bunny whose only just come to the house)

Is this normal? Could it be from the stress of moving?

Hugo has the caecrotroph poo now and then however i don’t think this is the case with Heidi?

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

The stress from the move will be troubling her, plus being able to see another bun. Make sure she has a secure hiding spot, stick to just her usual pellets and hay, no fresh greens. Make sure you keep everything between her and Hugo very separate for at least two weeks for biosecurity reasons. Do you know if she was fully vaccinated and vet checked before you brought her home?

The poo could be from stress, but it can be a sign of other illnesses including coccidia which is contagious. It would be worth a vet check in a day or two once she's settled a bit.

3. Ellie Lovatt

cheers for this - yes she has a hiding spot in her little hutch so she can stay away from Hugo. We have just kept her on pellets and straw so i didn’t think it would be food.

No she isn’t vaccinated yet as shes only a little baba, we have her booked in to get it done within the next week.

Should I keep her in a totally seperate part of the house from Hugo? I’m worrying now that if she’s contagious he will get it as well

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Ideally a separate part but if that's not possibly, be careful about cross contamination, wash hands between handling etc. Baby buns can be vaccinated from 6 weeks old, so good to get that done asap alongside a thorough vet check.

Hay not straw right? Straw isn't food ;)

5. Ellie Lovatt

haha sorry, yes hay - silly me!

fab she’s in at the vets in a couple of days i’ll see how she goes :) thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice