Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ADVICE - Puppy Pads

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SassySas89, Feb 25, 2014.

1. SassySas89

SassySas89 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a 6 month old female Westie, she has pretty much grasped the concept of doing her business outside. However, because both my husband and I work we have puppy pads down in the day and overnight. At the moment I am able to come back from work at lunch, but will soon be changing careers and think I am now giving my puppy the wrong message by letting her still do some business in the house.

Basically when we are in the house and able to watch her or if we pop out for an hour or two the pads are not down and she barks or whines to let us know she wants to go. I just want advise on how to transition her to be able to hind herself for the 4hrs or so whilst I am out at work and then do her business when I can let her out. I know they say it is an hr for each month, however so far when I have tried I have come back to at least one pee.

Thanks for any advice :)

2. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

i agree letting her go inside will only confuse her. Best thing to do is just take the pads away, no more putting them down when you go out. is she crate trained? this would help alot with toilet training

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Why not leave her at night without the pads to start with. leave the door open, (with a baby gate) and your bedroom door a bit open too. If she barks or whines, you should hear her, get up and let her out. See how that goes.

I'm not a fan of puppy pads, and never used them. It gives mixed signals about where's the right place to toilet, and at 6 months I'm a bit shocked you're still using them. Difficult if you have to leave the pup for hours though.

4. tailtickle

tailtickle PetForums Senior

Hello Sassy, At six months she should be fine during the night, and for short periods during the day. Establish a regular routine of walking her, to have the opportunity of relieving herself. She will adapt to a routine. :)

Remember those Puppy Pads are impregnated with a smell to attract a dog to use. So I would stop using them. Apart from which, you would be giving her the impression that you are encouraging to toilet indoors. :huh:

Be confident in your girl, she has a larger and stronger bladder now. But always remember to leave a bowl of water for her, that is very important.

Now pads away, regular walks, water available and .... let us know how well she does. :wink:

tailtickle x

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Personally I would get rid of the Pads now. As long as they are there, (assuming she uses them) then they are going to act as a cue that inside is acceptable and will encourage her to keep using them, and just concentrate on outside all the time for toileting.

What I would do too, when you have to start working and leaving her for the 4 hours, which she should be able to manage without needing to toilet at this is age, would be to take her for a good walk as late as possible before you leave for work. That should make sure she has done anything she needs to on the walk, and not only that will burn off any excess energy and she will likely to be more tired too and settle better while you are out also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice