Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice pls re- new pup!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Hb-mini, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I got our new pup on Fri night, Mini Schnauzer named Bella!
    She is doing great, doing all her business outside and sleeping really well in her crate! Getting used to my 3 year old running around just as my 3 yr old is getting used to Bella being around!

My question is, im a little worried because she didnt eat any of her tea last night, she ppicked a bit at her supper (My OH had to fed her with his hands, she wouldnt take it out of the bowl) and this morning for breakfast she was the same. Just picked at it a little bit. is it normal for new pups in their new homes to be a bit off there food or should i be more worried??

Thank you. :)

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

You may have to hand feed for a time as perhaps she was use to the scrum at meal times with the other pups. Are you feeding the same as the breeder had her on. When mine was a pup he would only eat if I stood over him.

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Hi, yes this is so normal as long as she is bright in herself.There's far to much going on to think about food!I wouldn't worry,she'll settle,and it sounds like you've cracked everything else.No sleepness nights,no mess perfect puppy x

4. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone!
    I have just tried her again with some food and instead of putting it in her bowl i put in a shallow bowl/ saucer and she much prefered this and ate it all! she is amazing! We love her!!

5. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Pleased to hear she is eating now :)

Pippa didn't eat much the first couple of days but was perfect in every other way :) I had to put her food into a shallow dish too instead of her bowl for a few days :D

6. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Just a thought was her bowl a stainless steel one? as my boys will not eat out of them they prefer the pot ones fussy or what. Plastic won't do as the bowl moves around they can't be doing with that.

7. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

You can little shallow puppy dishes from most pet shops for about £1.50 :D

8. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Thank you ill go and buy one of those tomorrow! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice