Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by ruthmcnally, Aug 16, 2009.

1. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

:eek:ut:Do kitties lose weight when they are first born. I now human babies do, but if someone could clarify for me than i greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

2. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Ive only had one lose weight after birth when there is something wrong.

Have you checked that mom has milk and are they all suckling ok?

3. ruthmcnally

mum has milk and im hoping that is was me yesturday weighting them and getting the 2 black kitties the wrong way round but im not going to know that untill i weight them again tomorrow.

xx

4. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Hopefully you just have them the wrong way round then. If they arent feeding they would be crying. If all looks well and they are suckling ok they should be fine. The first couple of days are critical so just be vigilant for any changes which Iam sure you are , hence the question:)

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

If it is the same one and it is agitated and vocal, you will need to supplementary feed. I can't recall which thread I posted this on but I have had one or two like that, they need a little help for the first week or so and then start to nurse normally. By 6 weeks they will have caught up, and go on to have normal healthy lives. The last baby I had of this kind went to my sister and was 16 when he died of old age!

PS why not try to mark the two black ones somehow so you don't mix them up? One way is to use a permanent felt-tip marker in the armpit where there's not much fur. There are other ways too, I'm sure other breeders will chip in with their favourite method.

6. ruthmcnally

Well when i weight them firt i didn't want to handle them to much so it was a rush. There is a differnce in then one black and white and one black. I think it was lack of sleep or i should have been blonde. They seemed fine last nite and were all feeding, which is good. You spend most of your time worrying about the kitties inside mum and then when they are born you still worry, we'll get there, Lets see how much they have put on today.

xx

7. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Weight loss the first day is regarded as normal.

Liz

8. ruthmcnally

Good morning, i weighed the 2 black/white kitties and they have both out on weight, i am unfortuinally a born worrier. So thats good i am going to keep an eye out on them one is a bit smaller but she was the last one out.

Thank you for all your help

xx

9. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

oh thats good news ruth. im a worrier too lol!! do they put on weight every day? i was gonna weigh mine once a week.

10. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

If you want to be alerted to any potential problems then you need to weigh everyday, at roughly the same time. Sometimes on odd days kittens can stay the same but any decrease in weight, should be monitored, it can be a heads up to a problem with a kitten that otherwise looks fine.

11. rottiesloveragdolls

I dont weigh mine on a regular basis, you can see if they are not putting on the weight but if they continue not to gain i would get them checked out, and make sure you start worming from 2 weeks of age onwards :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice