Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Purplejellyfish, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

In September my OH and i are going away for a long weekend with family who are visiting from overseas. At the time of our trip our staffie puppy will be 19 weeks old. We have two options of what to do with him while we are away, and we are undecided what will be the best for him.

He could either stay at home in the care of our 20 year old daughter, or we could book him into local boarding kennels. If he stays at home, it will obviously be less desruptive for him, however, our daughter works and he will be left alone for periods of up to 4 to 5 hours on three of the days. This is a big concern for us.

The other option is for him to go into local boarding kennels who have a good reputation. My concern with this is that at 19 weeks, this could be very traumatic for him and have a detrimental effect on his character and behaviour. I would imagine that for a little puppy, 4 days without his family and in strange surrounding will seem like a very long time.

I would prefer not to go at all, I would much rather stay at home with my puppy, but unfortunately, I have no choice. I would welcome some advice on what to do for the best for my puppy.

Many thanks

2. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

i would personally go for him staying at home, is it possible that a dog walker could come in on the days that he would be left for 4-5 hours.

3. rona

rona Guest

If your pup goes into kennels he will be left for the same type of periods as he would if left at home, and have all the added stress of the kennels.
    Start getting him used to being left for extended periods now, and I'm sure he will be far better left at home.
    If you are really worried about time time he will be left, you could always employ a dog walker/sitter for the days he will be left.
    Leave him where he is happy.
    If you think he will have to go into kennels in the future, it would be a good idea to take him there for a few daytime stays

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Will your breeder not take him back? Most good breeder would be more than happy to do this anyway, but particularly as he is so young.

5. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

Many thanks for your replies. I think we will forget the boarding kennel option. He has been left for a couple of hours on occasions with no problems. He is crate trained, and will quite happily stay in his crate while we have been out for short periods. I will look into dog walkers, though I am a bit unsure about strangers coming into our home.

many thanks

6. bmxwidow

bmxwidow PetForums Junior

I think that if you intend putting him into kennels in the future, you start while he is young. But if this is a one off, leave him at home in his familiar surroundings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice