Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Daniel Stockdale, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Daniel Stockdale

Daniel Stockdale PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

We’ve recently (Wednesday evening) got a Neva Masquerade Siberian Cat, she’s 600g and about 11 weeks old. We’re concerned that she’s underweight and because she’s not eating. We’ve bought her from an experienced breeder who fed the litter Royal Canin food. The breeder said that she wasn’t really wanting to eat the dry food and so they fed her boiled chicken.

We’re not sure what to do, can you help please?

Attached Files:

#1 Daniel Stockdale, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  2. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Have you had her checked by your vet? I think that would be my first port of call if a new kitten wasn't eating. Especially since it's now been a couple of days. I guess you have tried boiled chicken?

I know you said the breeder was experienced, but since the breeder sold you the kitten at under 13 weeks i assume your kitten is not registered?

3. Daniel Stockdale

Thank you so much for replying!

She had some chicken this morning but isn’t entertaining anything else. She’s not being lethargic and is in fact being very active, and has used the litter tray for pooping. I’ve seen another post with a similar issue, I’ll try some hilife or Lily’s kitchen for kittens, as well as some boiled chicken, if that doesn’t work then I’ll get her in at the vets.

4. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

She is very small, I would expect my kittens to be at least 600g at 6 weeks of age. They are Norwegian Forests so should be a similar size . Is she definitely 11 weeks old? I wonder if she is nearer 6 weeks old and hasn’t fully weaned yet.
    Has she had her first vaccination yet?

#4 lillytheunicorn, Dec 18, 2020
    OrientalSlave and spotty cats like this.
  5. mrsfarq

mrsfarq PetForums Member

If it was my kitten I would want her seen by a vet ASAP. Kittens can go down hill very quickly and if she isn’t eating she also won’t be getting much fluid. What was her poo like? Was it formed and firm or was it loose?

She’s is absolutely beautiful but as others have said 600g is quite tiny for a 11 week old kitten.

6. Daniel Stockdale

We’re really confused by the whole thing to be honest. She’s not had her first vaccinations yet, we’ve got her booked in for that on Wednesday. We just don’t know what to do.

The breeder says to bring her back, but we obviously don’t want to as we’ve all bonded with her now.

7. Daniel Stockdale

Her poo was formed and solid.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

What?

9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I am not sure what weight they should be before vax - but I would call the vet in advance and ask if she is the right weight and discuss your other concerns. She is gorgeous and I hope you will not worry too much. TBH 600g does sound small. You vet will be the best to advise, so ring before you go? Good luck.

10. Daniel Stockdale

Thank you, I’m going to phone the emergency vet line and see what they say.

do you think it’s a good idea to try HiLife or Lily’s Kitchen for kittens?

11. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Return her to the breeder, put the kittens needs above your own.
    The breeder needs to make sure she's well enough, a proper weight and vet checked.

12. lillytheunicorn

She can wait until tomorrow to see the vet unless she is lethargic or not eating. However I would return her to the breeder she is far to small for an 11 week cat.

I suspect she hasn’t had her first vaccination as the vet would know she is nearer 6 weeks old.

13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

If she is eating and using tray and not lethargic then it sounds as tho' she may just be younger than you thought. Mixing foods too soon cause stomach upsets and diarrhoea so if she was on chicken and still enjoys I would keep her on that It is very early days as she has been with you only 48 hours! I'd watch her carefully (which you are obviously doing) and call a vet if she appears lethargic or reluctsnt to eat. Lovely baby!

14. lillytheunicorn

For comparison, here is a picture of Lizzy from Blue’s litter last year, 1st picture at 6 weeks and 750g 2nd picture at 11 weeks old (1265g at 10 weeks old)

F94F2E4E-7BF9-43D9-A336-1487AD680B80.jpeg 7C442001-37FE-49CC-9222-4B37B95FE30A.jpeg

15. Daniel Stockdale

That’s really helpful, thank you

lillytheunicorn likes this.
  16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Daniel Stockdale - I agree with the others, your kitten is beautiful but far too tiny for 11 weeks old and has the look of a much younger kitten, e.g. 6 weeks old.

If the kitten has only been fed boiled chicken for more than a few days I would be concerned that she is not getting all the nutrients she needs. She can't exist on just home cooked meat. You need to add a supplement to it, but ensure that you use one that is suitable for a young kitten. Felini Complete from Zooplus may possibly be OK.

I suspect she may not have been fully weaned and was still having some of her mum's milk for nourishment so the plain chicken was not her total diet.

Whatever the case, she is either underweight for her age or too young to leave her mum. Either is cause for concern and she should go back to the breeder for a few more weeks so she can grow and become stronger. Why can't you ask the breeder to take her back for a few weeks? It will do the kitten a lot of good to stay with her mum longer, her development and health will the better for it. You need to put the kitten's needs first, she is a tiny vulnerable creature who needs her mum.

Offer to pay the breeder for the kitten's food and litter for a few weeks, and then the breeder will have no excuse not to take her back for a while.

You say this breeder is "experienced" but does this mean your kitten is registered with the GCCF, and the parents are too?

If she is not going back to her mum for a few more weeks, I recommend you buy some kitten replacement milk to give her. Either Cimicat or Royal Canin Babycat. It will give her the nutrients she needs.

#16 chillminx, Dec 18, 2020
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

18. Daniel Stockdale

I popped into pets at home and got some Lilly’s kitchen and after a few sniffs she ate the small portion I’d given her! Phew

19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Please note that if she is only 6 weeks old as she appears to be, she must not be given her vaccinations as they will not be effective at that age. Vets are not always the best at judging the age of tiny kittens. Breeders (or experienced Rescue staff) have a better idea.

Vaccinations should be given at 9 weeks and the second one at 12 weeks - according to the RSPCA.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/cats/health/vaccinations

#19 chillminx, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  20. lillytheunicorn

The milk @chillminx suggested is better, I prefer cimicat however you can get Beaphar lactose kitten milk from pets at home so you can start her tomorrow morning on it. https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/beaphar-lactol-kitten-milk-250g

She may not be able to lap it straight away, as she will have been used to suckling. Dip a clean finger in the milk and she will suck/lick it off, dip your finger back in the milk and get her to suck/lick it off closer until she starts to lick the milk from the dish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice