Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by vivien, Dec 13, 2020.

1. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Morning all. Last Thursday Tiga started dribbling profusely. Here is a picture of him.
    0E4823A7-7551-4FA3-B3E6-F92C5F7F8797.jpeg

We phoned for an appointment with the vet, but could only get an appointment at their wickford branch. We had to wait until 3 o’clock. When the vet saw him she said she had never seen anything like this before.she asked was he drinking more than usual, he wasn’t. So she gave him an anti sickness injection as she thought maybe he might be feeling sick. When he came home he started drinking a lot. Whether it was the injection or not I don’t know. He was still the same the next day, and managed to get an appointment with our vet. When Kevin saw him he also said that he had never seen anything like this before. He kept Tiga in and did broad spectrum blood tests. His liver and kidneys are in good order. However his white blood cells are low. He thinks Tiga has a virus and because his white blood cells are low he can’t fight it off. So he has given him prednisone. He has to go back Tuesday, although he did let the weekend vet know that we might have to come back to them if Tiga got any worse. He is much better but is still dribbling a little. Has anyone had a cat with these symptoms please. As no one seems to know what it is.
    Viv xx

2. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

I assume vet checked his mouth?

vivien likes this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Could he have eaten something he shouldn't have ? A noxious plant maybe ?

vivien likes this.
  4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Or a teeth trouble?

Hope he’ll be fine, soon!

vivien likes this.
  5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Poor Tiga :( Hope it's not anything serious x

vivien likes this.
  6. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Popcorn had this and it was Calicivirus and swollen tonsils and she got dehydrated. Needed antibiotics and metacam and liquid packs under her neck skin. I really hope Tigas ok xxx

vivien likes this.
  7. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. Yes his mouth is fine. He only has molars left and they are okay.
    Thank you. no our garden is cat proofed and all the plants we have are cat friendly. Our Tiga is a fair weather boy. He will only go out if it’s sunny.
    Thank you. His mouth, and throat have been checked by 2 different vets.
    Thank you. I hope so too. They do love to worry us.
    Thank you. This gives me something to ask Kevin when we see him Tuesday. Tiga is on prednisone as Tiga cannot have metacam. The last time he had metacam he got really bad diareah. He is dribbling a lot less than he was, thank goodness.
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Viv xx

Whompingwillow and ChaosCat like this.
  8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hope he is okay soon! Such a lovely cat

vivien likes this.
  9. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Oh poor Tiga :( I hope he is feeling better soon, let us know how he gets on.

vivien likes this.
  10. Emmasian

Emmasian Mother of Pumpkins

Hope he is OK. I really can't think what could be causing it, but positive vibes to him for a quick recovery xx

vivien likes this.
  11. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

I hope Tiga is ok soon. xxx

vivien likes this.
  12. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@vivien
    I cannot help with advice but hope Tiga feels better soon xx

vivien likes this.
  13. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

Morning @vivien I'm another that can’t offer any advice but I hope Kevin Tiga’s vet can find out what’s wrong & that it’s easily treatable.
    Paws crossed for Tuesday xx

vivien likes this.
  14. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you all for your replies. Tiga is much better. Only dribbling now and again very slightly.
    It looks like Kevin was right, that he picked up a virus. I’m not sure how as Tiga doesn’t really go out much now the weather has cooled down. He doesn’t like the cold. The only thing I can think is we have brought it in when we’ve been out. He is on day 5 of his prednisone, and the difference in in him from last Thursday is brilliant. Hubby was carving the bacon last night, and Tiga was all over him for some. Then he asked for more after hubby gave him some. Lol. I am so relieved to see him back to himself. Xx

Emmasian, Treaclesmum, Jaf and 2 others like this.
  15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I experienced the excessive drooling a few years back. The vet like yours administered an anti sickness injection - I was at the vets 4 times that day, what fun!

The upshot never was thoroughly discovered. The vet thought maybe he had met a toad or something else with a taste that your body tries to eject.

He was fine after a couple of days. So not real help, I'm afraid, but just to say it has happened to another cat.

upload_2020-12-14_10-26-28.png

Babyshoes and vivien like this.
  16. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. You have been very helpful. I am sorry you had to go through this too. Tiga is on prednisone at the moment. He’s only got a couple of days left. He is going to the vet at 11 - 15 this morning, he is a lot better, so I’m hoping Kevin will give him a clean bill of health.
    Viv xx

17. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

You're welcome. I know how worrying it can be to see them like that.

Hope he is all good at the vet x

vivien likes this.
  18. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Thank you. Hubby has taken Tiga to the vet. He said for me to stay home. Hopefully he will have a clean bill of health.
    Viv xx

MilleD likes this.
  19. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Kevin has given Tiga a clean bill of health. We have to give him his tablet for today tomorrow and his last one Friday.
    Kevin says Tiga can’t have his booster until the new year. As he doesn’t want to put more viruses in his body until he builds up some immunity.
    Viv xx

20. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Only just read this so glad Tiga is ok now.
    What a worry!
    Phoebe dribbles like crazy at valerian (she adores it but it literally leaves her chin and bib soaked!), that's probably not related to Tiga but maybe it was some scent at your home that caused it?
    Just a thought ...

vivien likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice