Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Milly22, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Hello,

I could do with a little bit of advice regarding a cat I had sold and then his owners cannot handle the stress of him with their Persian.

I spoke to them and said I would take him back here, she seemed quite pleased but said they cannot return him until Tuesday, when husband is off work, I offerred to go get him but they are "working" her part time but she is very nervous or something...... so would prefer husband to be their (which is very strange considering she is NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK) never mind. I work part time. I will let that wee lie go.

The problem is, after I spoke to them yesterday, I received an email saying that he had developed an infection and he smells from inside out to the point they cannot hold him but he should be okay in a few days ??? WTF? Within like 1.5 weeks, he has developed an infection ?

He was perfectly healthy when he left here, I was ultra aware of their pooing (sorry if too much info) as Mistys are not good so I wanted to ensure they were all fine tummy-wise which they were.

Now I am worrying that I am going to bring him back into my house and cause infection to my other kitts. I know I am the breeder and it is my responsibility but he was fine when he left here.

I have telephoned her asking what type of infection but no bloomin answer. I have now emailed her saying I would like a letter from their vet saying he is fine to be in a house with other cats?

Am I over-reacting, going about this the wrong way?

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

If it were me I'd go and collect him today when they are back from work, go in the evening. He prob doesn't have an infection, they may just think he has. I'd keep him in a seperate room and take him to the Vet tomorrow morning. You'll have to be very careful though incase he has an infection. But I am no expert, it's just what I would do.

3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I agree, I'd bring him home this evening and tell them that you need to have him vet checked before you even discuss any refunds. This all sounds very strange and I'd definitely keep him in isolation.

4. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

This does sound very suspect. They are telling a few lies which is really quite ennerving. I'd be surprised if they allowed you to just "collect him this eveing" as they are dragging their heels and giving excuses.
    I really feel for you and wish I had some advice. I really hope you get him home as soon as you can and that he does not have an infection. Poor little mite :(

5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I will keep phoning them.

It does sound strange doesn't it?

She said he refused to eat any of the food I gave so they changed him onto some weird cr*p they always use. They siad Persian very terrified and hits him but he keeps coming back 8/9 times before backing down.

Will keep phoning them. People :cursing:. They seemed so nice. Elderly, bringing me photos of cats, visiting him. :confused:

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Is there an infection that could make a kitten smell so bad that you couldn't touch it as the smell was coming from them?

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I agree go collect asap, isolate him from your other cats, and then vet check tomorrow and whilst you are collecting him find out what they have been feeding him on - that's probably what has caused it. Obviously, once the vet has checked him over, any refund will need to take into account the vet check fees, any meds, your inconvenince at having to have him back becasue of owners mental health issues, his now greater age and therefore more difficult to sell on again, the extra food you will need to keep him until he has sold again etc. Good luck.

8. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

There isn't an infection so bad that I would be unable to hold a kitten!

That's the probem really, you can never be totally sure when you let cats go. All you can do is your best to try and ensure they have a good life.

I'd try to get him back and go from there but it's difficult.

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Okay thanks.

I will keep trying them today. Explain I want him back today, I will move Misty and poppy from their room into the kitchen and Snoop can sleep in the living room with Tilly (she is grounded at night-time due to fighting).

I have called my Vet and have to call back at 3pm for a chat, he seen Oscar and checked him over erm.. not last week but the one before I think and gave him the all clear, lovely coat, good weight, clean ears, heart sound etc etc. Never mind. I suppose I may have to get used to this.

My husbands answer was "oh for goodness sake, you cannot keep taking kittens back"! :D

I think he is very annoyed as he knows I am very stressed and I think he thinks they are lying about something. I don't know what though. It's baffling.

"Infection so bad he smells from the inside out, got so bad we cannot touch him" Bullsh*T! (sorry)

10. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Sounds to me like the change in food and the stress levels he must be under has given him the runs. He probably hasn't seen a vet, and the "infection" is their diagnosis.

I agree with everyone else. Get him as soon as you can and get him sorted before he turns into a nervous cat you can never rehome with a permanent digestive problem.

Unless he was ill when they first got him, and they can prove that with a vet report, then they are not due any refund as the kitten was fit for purpose. If you do want to give them something back then it shouldn't be the full amount as you will potentially have vet bills for him and readvertising costs.

11. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Not very nice of hubby, have you already took a kitten back then :confused: I would go there with their cash and give it back. Getting the kitten back and safe is more important. I don't feel these people are ready for a kitten, seems rather odd.

12. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

No, well I kind-of did last week though, it turns out 2 of the bicolours owners daughter came out in a very nasty rash and gp advised them to remove cats. So, yes i did take them back too but only very very briefly as I had a lady looking for 2 girls. She is a nice lady, lives quite nearby and they are happy now.

It's all been a very steep learning curve. I think hubby thought it would all be plain sailing and everyone would just love their kittens! He finds it difficult to understand.

2 out of 5 homes are okay!

I told them I woud give them £200 which is minus their deposit of £50 back but do you now think I should wait until I see the vet?

I can honestly say if I thought for one minute he had tummy problems or smelled or anything like that I never have sold him.

I think if he is okay (ie no long lasting tummy troubles) my mum may have him.

13. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

aww it's great you found the girls a nice home :)

i think it seems fair to give them back £200 and keep the £50 yourself, if they have agreed to it personally i would stick with that.

have you had a reply yet?

14. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

good luck i hope you get him back soon

15. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

No reply yet I have left a message and an email but will keep trying as they sometimes seem to mislay the answering machines messages.

Thanks a lot. :)

16. Harmony1

Harmony1 PetForums Newbie

Hope you get your baby back soon. Its incredible that in SA ragdolls are so very rare and we pay R5500 per kitty (around 460 pounds!) and yet this lady, who was lucky enough to get one of your babies has behaved so badly!

I hope she gets home safe and sound soon xxx

17. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I agree with what has been said. Go and get him now if you can and isolate him until you can see your own vet. I suspect it is probably all the stress he has had with them rather than an illness. I would definitely withhold some money back until you have heard what your vet has to say. It sounds a bit fishy to me - perhaps they had forgotten how active a kitten is and realise he may be too much for them and are just looking for some excuse...

Anyway, if you get him back - give him a hug from me!!

18. gmj

gmj PetForums Junior

For speed, would it be worth just getting their vets phone number and ask the vet over the phone what appears to be the problem, that way you can have a 2 way conversation to allay your fears. It certainly sounds like you need to remove this cas asap

good luck

19. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

That would be a great idea to get their vets number unfortunately, I cannot get them yet alone their vet.

I have even been to the house now. I did want to look in the window but there as a "neighbourhood watch" scheme.

I think they have gone off for a weekend and left him to be honest.

Probably took the bloody persian with them.

Why if a cat was causing you so many problems would you just not want to give him back then and there? They only live around 9 miles away. I am very angry with Oscars ex-owners. I know she is unwell but...... I suffer depression, I don't do all this weird sh*t!

Sorry. :cursing:

Argh!! and think about Oscar, just settling in to his new home to be swiftly decanted back to another home which is a bit familar but getting less familiar by the day, poppy will have her smells and Misty might not even know who he is as she and Poppy are all smitten with each other. Then I have to go and sell him to another family. That's 3 moves in he space of a few weeks. poor cat. I can't keep him though. :(

I do have people contacting me for ragdolls but they all want girls.

20. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I sincerely hope they haven't gone away for the weekend and left a very young kitten to fend for himself. They may just be out.

That said and I don't mean to sound harsh, but you really shouldn't breed a litter unless you have the capacity to keep every kitten. You have no idea whether you can find homes for them all or they will actually be saleable for one reason or another.

That said I am sure that you will be able to easily find him another home when you get him back, but if he has not been well, then I would give him time to recover and settle before stressing him (and his immune system) with another move almost immediately.

Seeing as this poor little kitten is supposedly such a burden to them, I do find it concerning that given an easy option of you taking him back that they are being so ellusive. I hope they are not trying to cover something up, it seems very weird.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice