Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice please :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by nurseberyl, Jul 27, 2009.

1. nurseberyl

nurseberyl PetForums Member

Hi all, Ive just registered as am very upset and thought this would be the place place to share it.

yesterday while I was visiting my mum, one of her cats came home after being missing for 48 hours, he came in wet, dirty, exhausted, and in agony. My mum took him straight to the emergency vets, where they said he probably been run over and they would get him comfortable for the night and x-ray him the next day.

The next day we went in to see him and they had given him an xray and he had a broken pelvis, a broken tail and his bladder was basically busted with severe nerve damage, he couldnt go to the toilet at all. They said they could operate but it might not even work and the recovery would be harsh and long, and it was expensive. My mum made the decision to put him to sleep. And it was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever seen, my family are in bits and my mum is devestated even my dad cried. He was a lovely rescue cat and it breaks my heart he was out there for 2 days in agony and still mamanged to crawl back home, but in the end he had to die :(

My point is (sorry its long) I have just got a lovely kitten and now I dont want to let him out ever. I dont want him getting run over and i live on a main road, although my back garden goes out into a side street. There are lots of cats nearby who dont get run over but now im worried. I have always thought it mean to keep a cat indoors but now i just dont want him to get hurt.

Does anyone have indoor cats? what would you do!

sorry its long and thanks for any replies..

2. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

First of all I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your much loved cat.

More and more people are now keeping their cats indoors. So long as you provide them with a stimulating environment they should be fine. Make sure they have a decent cat climber and plenty of interactive toys. Rotate the toys every few days so the kit doesn't get too bored with them. You could harness train your kitten so you could take him/her out in the garden or perhaps ask your family to cat proof your garden to prevent the kitten escaping or build a cat pen/run.

3. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Really sorry about your mum's cat. Its an awfull situation to be in. We had to have my mothers beautifull 4yr old cat put to sleep a few years ago when he was poisoned with antifreeze and had multi-organ failure :(
    We have two indoor cats who live happily indoors, they haven't known anything different. They do get out the back on their harnesses whilst were with them and are almost dog like in that they sit at the door patiently awaiting harness fitting :) My mothers cats have been used to getting out and after a short period of confinement following the anti freeze incident they were let back out because they were totally miserable indoors.

4. nurseberyl

thanks...

is it easy to take a cat out on a lead? it seems hard and then unfair to give them a taste of freeom and then bring him back in. I am so anti indoor cats but i dont want to let mine out EVER now :eek:

i cant really cat proof the garden i rent, i dont live with my parents they live in another house, I thought their area was safe for cats with no busy roads, how wrong was I :( so my main road is even more dangerous

5. nurseberyl

Im so sorry about your mothers cat how awful :(

How often do you take them out on a harness? does it have a long lead so they can run about? I am seriously considering keeping kitty indoors, as he has known no different really....

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I have 3 cats who have always been outdoor cats, I think it is cruel to keep them in now, but if I ever get another cat who has not known the outdoors I would not let it out, there are so many dangers out there, and there seem to be so many more people willing to deliberately hurt cats. If your cat has never been out then I would not let him/her out.

7. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I have Ragdolls which are basically indoor cats. Mine do have access to a cat proofed garden - but only when we are around. They are quite happy.

8. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

I'm so sad and sorry about your loss, we lost our baby Peppina to a car a couple of weeks ago, she was killed instantly right outside our house on a side street. Our remaining cat and our subsequent 2 new kittens are now and always will be house cats, I can't put myself through it.

I'd say anyone like me who was nervous about letting them out in the first place don't, the guilt I feel for having let our out is horrendous.

9. nurseberyl

exactly, look at all those sickos that air pellet cats and do all sorts, its unthinkable. i think Ill try out a harness. i am selfishly worrying about keeping the windows shut in summer though!

10. nurseberyl

Oh Im so sorry :(

Before my mums cat Max died I was adimant mine would be an outdoor cat, but now seeing a pet die like that I could never go through that and nor could my daughter.

11. nurseberyl

I do wish I had got 2 kittens, do you think i should get another, none of his litter are left though. would he get on with another kitten? I want him to have some company really if hes going to be an indoor cat...

12. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear of your parent's loss. My two are allowed outside but i live on a fairly quiet street with a big back garden. Patch has been clipped by a car - but only when he got out at 5 in the morning & he came back with bloody paws & one of his nine lives lost.

When i lived with my parents, they refused to let us have a cat as they live near fields - with a busy road in the way. A number of cats have been killed down their road so i am glad that they never put us through that.

Leave your kitten as an indoor cat as you live on a busy road - you'll not stop worrying otherwise.

13. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Awww i am very sorry about your mums cat :( my condolances xx

If you want to keeo your cat indoors here are a few pointers:
    (in no order!)

1. Create high spaces, dark places, hidey holes etc

2. Have lots if toys....but rotate them on a regular basis to keep the interest.

3. Keep ''special'' toys for when you wish to play with your cat.

4. Tunnels and cardboard boxes are great :)

5. Invest in a cat climber/sleeper

6. Get a few scratching posts/mats/door hangers etc

All of these will give your cat a very varied and active life. but if you are keeping your cat inside then make sure they have access to a few rooms so they have 'roaming' choices.

I have these my my house and my cats love them! They are allowed out but most of the time they stay in!!

14. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

Ours get out most days for a short period although when the weather was nice and we were off work they spent ages out the back with us. Our wee girl doesn't like out for long, which suits lol but Ty spends hours in his birdhouse. We attach their leads to the washing line with an extension cable and they wander about the garden although i wouldn't leave them unsupervised as they like to tangle themselves around things and Ty has even done a houdini escaping the harness. He likes to take us for a walk into the front garden at times but soon retreats as cars go by.To be honest having been brought up with outdoor cats i was initially sceptical about keeping cats indoors but i can wholeheartedly say i wouldn't have it any other way what with the increased volume of traffic and animal cruelty.

15. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

How old is he? And how long have you had him?
    x

16. nurseberyl

I have had him about 3 weeks, hes 12 weeks old now.

Thanks for all the advice btw :)

17. nurseberyl

I think a trip to pets at home is in order!

18. nurseberyl

thanks and yes I think i will keep him indoors, I cant cope with the worry now ive seen it first hand..

19. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

No probs :) xx

If you really wanted another kitten, go for it. But it is your decision! It is double everything ;) :D

20. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

#20 Janee, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice