Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Yourgifts Ourgifts, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

Hi..We have had alot of trouble trying to get Sky bathed as he's totally afraid of water, but over the past few months we have slowly got him use to getting washed a little at a time, starting from the back paws and and now a few months on we are half way up his body..lol
    What i wanted advice on is what shampoo to use on him, he is a Sheltie Cross if that helps and up til now just been using baby shampoo..

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I have seen on some pet sites on the net a dry shampoo for dogs,dont know if this will be of any help to you.

3. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Thanks Hazel..Tried once with the spray dry shampoo but the noise freaked him out..:eek:

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am probably in the minority but I have always used cheap human shampoos with no problems. I am sure dogs have far less sensitive skin than we do so if it is safe for us it will be safe for them. I used to have shelties and I very seldom bathed them, probably not even once a year. I wouldnt fuss over the fear of water too much, no dog likes its first bath, just put him in the bath, turn the shower on and get on with it, he will soon get used to it. If you make a thing of it he will be be frightened of it.

5. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Thanks for the advice..;)

6. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Instead of bathing you can use bicarbonate of soda, rub it in to his coat ( use it dry ) wait an hour and then brush it out, my sister kept her white g.s.d. immaculate using it and I used to use it on my last sheltie, it really does take all the crap out of their coats without stripping out the oils.

Terri

7. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Thanks Terri I've never heard of this before..:D

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I use puppy shampoo on all my dogs, it is gentle and smells lovely, Have you tried getting into your shower with him and put the water on very slowly warm not cold, if he dont like the water coming down on him take the shower head and while you two are in the shower you can shower him slowly close to his fur. I dont know if this will help, but I did read somewhere about someones dog terrified of water and baths and showers, but they did the shower one and got in with him, it took a while but they did get there in the end. The only thing is the dog wants this person in the shower with him all the time now lolollol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice