Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kiara, Jun 22, 2009.

1. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

Hi all,
    I have got a Dwarf Lop Buck and i was wondering how much food he should have a day. I have read lots of books and surfed the internet but to no avail. i am currently giving him a bowl of complete rabbit food, a bowl of fresh fruit and veg (apple, pear, carrot, swede, parsnip) with fresh grass and a rabbit 'treat'. also with unlimited supply of hay and water a day. i also give him a 'popstickle' once a week. this seems loads to me but he still seems hungary after. am i not feeding him enough???? He is approx 15 weeks old. thanks
    xx

2. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

here he is, Prince. He is a white blue eyed blue point. xx

Attached Files:

3. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

You seem to be doing fine....rabbits are grazers and will eat all day to keep their gut going! Its great that you give him a unlimited supply of hay as this is mistake alot of people make.

How old is your rabbit....if he is still very young then you need to introduce foods slowly so as not to upset his tummy. One diff type of veg/fruit at a time then if he does get a runny bum you know what the cause is.

Im not sure what that food is you are supplying but pellets are the best for rabbits they are much healthier than the rabbit mix you can buy. I have Norman on excel pellets for junior and dwarf rabbits and he loves them. If you decide to try that then introduce slowly so not as to upset his tummy!

I give Norman a large handful of pellets in the morning and on an evening he gets a large bowl of fresh veg - spring greens, kale, parsley, cauliflour, broccoli and carrots. He has a constant supply of meadow, timothy and readigrass hay, and I give him fruit afew times a week as a treat and also rich tea biscuits and weetabix are a healthy treat for rabbits so he gets that afew times a week (Norman is now about 19 weeks and I introduced all these foods to him slowly and one by one).

I usually treat him to something else when I visit P@H but dont tend to feed him these treats on a regular basis, just make sure the treat is natural with no added sugar etc! Parsley bells are great.
    Also making their healthy food fun to eat is good - I have a treat ball that I put pellets in and Normi loves to run around and try get them out! He is like a little footballer! Also chewable toys like willow balls, grass matts etc are great.

Your rabbit is just beautiful....blue eyes you are very lucky!! Tell us more about him? is he a house rabbit etc! Everybody on here is really friendly so feel free to ask anything you like and join in the stupid conversations that come up LOL x

#3 mimi g, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You sound like you are doing well, but id avoid too much fruit and starchy veg like carrots.

You'd be better off with green leafy things like kale, carrot tops and spring greens. Herbs like parsley are also really good, mine like the curly variety.
    Fruit is too sugary and can give them the runs. Plus they can get a bit porky on it.

Mine get a pellet mix, and as adults, they only have one small handful a day and unlimited quality hay, and dried grass.

5. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

hi, thanks for your reply.
    he is approx 15 weeks old.
    im not sure what make his food is, i get it from a small pet shop and it comes in a see through bag, it looks like cereal, seeds, dried fruit and pellets.
    How do you give the Weetabix, straight out the packet or broken up?????
    i do try to make his food fun but im not really sure how too. i have been making a nice mess by stuffing an empty toilet paper tube with hay, fruit, veg and his mixed food.
    he is very beautiful.
    he is a house rabbit but i dont let him have them full run as i have dogs and cats too and i wouldnt want him to get hurt. generally he goes in his run for part of the day in the garden on the grass and some cuddle time and has a large indoor cage for night time. he is very shy but i am working on this slowly with grooming. i am also trying to litter train him but it is hard work. his a messy pup and poos and wees every where.
    xx

6. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

The cereal type food isnt the best it is said to be full of sugar. You may want to try and wean him over to pellets.

I break the weetabix up abit just to make it easier same with the biccies, but they can eat them whole. Them teeth can make their way through allsorts! LOL

Stuffing things in loo roll is good, treat balls are fab to.
    If you can get a large cardboard box that will keep him entertained for hours or a yellow pages you dont use anymore.

Norman has never really been shy but I got him at 8 weeks and fed him pellets from my hands, he used to get on my knee and within days he was nearly on my face trying to get food from me, havent looked back since. Food is always a good bribe to bring them round and make them more tame. Make sure you try pick him up every day for a cuddle to so he gets used to it as some rabbits dont like to be picked up at all and kick and struggle so best to get him used to it young.

You wont regret having him as a house bun they are fab, like mini doggies. Norman is locked in the kitchen when im not in but when im home he can run all over and is such a character and always in mischeif and binkying infront of the tv! LOL

Will you be getting him neutered? He can be done from 4 mths and that should aid his litter training and stop him before he starts spraying!

There are alot of threads on here about helping with litter training though! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice