Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Claire Diss, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Claire Diss

Claire Diss PetForums Member

Libby is at it again. I bought loads of Forthglade meat to last month as I get paid monthly. We have Applaws kibble as she refuses to eat Wainwrights she has just been eating kibble for 2 days happily and now refusing to eat her meat or kibble. I pretended to put cheese on tonight and she has eaten a few. I ideally just want her on kibble. What would you all suggest I do

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Assuming there are no medical issues, then its tough love.

Put down what you want to feed (no extras - pretend or otherwise) leave her with it for 20 mins, then remove it and offer her nothing else until her next meal time.

She wont starve herself.

Claire Diss likes this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I think you need to give her 15-20 minutes to eat...take it away then nothing else.

She will eat when hungry!

However a vet check prior, just incase the 'picky' eating is something is stopping her from eating instead of being fussy. Not eating, is usually the first sign of many health problems.

Claire Diss likes this.
  4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I wholeheartedly agree with @Nonnie.

Tough love is the only way. Why would she eat plain kibble if she knows you'll end up giving in and adding cheese?

Claire Diss likes this.
  5. Claire Diss

Just been checked by Vet she has clean bill of health. When I put plain kibble down he looks at me and when I walk away she looks at me as if to see say is that it. Then I feel guilty. My own doing I know and I have to stop it. How long would you say it would take

6. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

I agree with everyone else. Lola was difficult when she was younger and I made it worse by giving in because I was worried about hypoglycaemia with her being so small. But to fix this, I just gave her more but smaller meals through the day, same food, no extras added, to give her more opportunities to eat. She eventually realised this was all she was getting and now she eats what's put in front of her no problem. It's hard to think that they're hungry I know, but honestly she won't starve herself.

Claire Diss likes this.
  7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

They rarely gone longer than a couple of days, but if she does, you need to stick it out and be more stubborn than she is. Food down for 10/15 minutes and if she doesn't eat it, take it away and offer nothing at all (except water - no treats!) until the next meal time.

Claire Diss likes this.
  8. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Another vote for tough love here! As my friend says: a healthy dog will not starve itself to death.
    How long? It depends on a dog. Put down the bowl and if the food isn't gone in 15-20mins, then take it away and offer it again in an hour. Not eating? Take it away again and offer it for her next meal time. Some dogs will get the hint after the first two times of turning up their noses. Some try to be fussy for longer but will eat nevertheless. My dog only turned his nose away one time when he was a puppy and it was enough to realise that he eats what he's given or he doesn't eat at all. And yes, as SixStar said - no treats. Nothing but water.

Claire Diss likes this.
  9. DT

DT Banned

Basically as others have said,
    But just to add, I have a very good friend who owns boarding kennels, we have had this conversation many many times because I wont leave my dog in kennels, she tells me that many boarders refuse food for a couple of days, but they arn't daft, and generally start to eat after two or three days,
    Obviously water is important
    Don't know,if this is relevant just thought I wrouls mention it.

Claire Diss likes this.
  10. Claire Diss

Ok thank you that's it but tough love for my Libby Lou. I will keep you all updated

Attached Files:

SixStar and DT like this.
  11. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

And be strong! Especially when she gives you the stare. Do not give in!

Claire Diss and DT like this.
  12. Claire Diss

lol I won't she can give me that stare all she likes I have told her. She is as stubborn as a mule but so am I

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice