Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kirsty Nimmo, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Kirsty Nimmo

Kirsty Nimmo PetForums Newbie

I've wanted a little dog ever since I can remember, so me and my partner have finally settled into a lovely flat with a garden and we popped the question to our private landlord. In my very carefully worded email I made sure to offer an additional pet deposit, pet rent and professional carpet cleaning at the end of our tenancy, not to mention assuring him that we would never leave the dog on its own for long periods of time.

After about a month our landlord replied and said he doesn't want to lose us as tenants so yes, we can have a dog as long as we replace all the carpets in the flat at the end of our tenancy. At first I was ecstatic that he'd agreed but then when I discussed it with my partner, we realised that this is a massive hoop for us to jump through. Is this a normal demand?! Do we just blindly agree and face a huge bill when we move?! I'm so conflicted...

Advice would be very much appreciated...

2. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

What about a compromise and agree to have the carpets professionally cleaned when you leave? I have 2 dogs and my carpet (cream) is fine.

3. Kirsty Nimmo

I already offered that in my original email - he says having them professionally cleaned isn't sufficient if the next tenants have allergies...

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

What does your tenancy agreement say about pets? What does it say about carpets?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Kirsty Nimmo

It's very vague, it says "to clean to a good standard, or pay for the professional cleaning, of the premises to the same standard to which the premises were cleaned prior to the start of the tenancy". As for pets, it only has one sentence stating that there are no pets unless given written permission from the landlord.

I think my issue is that the carpets are quite old so we'd feel like we'd essentially be paying to renovate the flat...

6. Tacey

Tacey PetForums Senior

I'm in my 3rd house renting with dogs and have never been asked to replace the carpets, just have them professionally cleaned. I think it's a bit much to expect you to replace them all to be honest... :O But i guess if you really want a dog you'll have to agree to it?

Honeys mum likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

His flat, his rules.

Dog pee goes through carpet so the underlay would still be stained and possibly smelly so that would be my concern rather than the allergy argument if I were the landlord.

As it states no pets then I don't see how you can insist terms tbh

From his point of view it's really a take it or leave it scenario.

Could you perhaps state that the dog will not go upstairs (with your fingers crossed behind your back so it's a bit of a white lie ;)) so would he accept a compromise of replace downstairs carpets, and maybe clean the upstairs?

8. Legshand

Legshand PetForums Member

Is this a normal demand?! Do we just blindly agree and face a huge bill when we move?! I'm so conflicted...

There is no such thing as 'normal' standard or demand in the context of a contractual, written agreement on anything, your landlords normal conditions are no dogs , he has now offered you, at your request, an additional contract with terms & conditions if you want it, or any negotiated differences mutually agreed.

What is not 'normal' for him to do is allow you to keep a dog on the premises, if he wanted he could write a contract out with terms & conditions that you jump through a hoop every weekend as entertainment for his family & friends on top of the things he wants already as part of a contract for keeping a dog, goldfish pig etc, if you agreed then that is a contract & you have formed new legal relations with him, or not taken his offer. What he has offered is not obligatory to accept but if you want a dog, well thats it, the ball is in your court, he has offered & you accept or not.

#8 Legshand, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Is there somewhere you can store them if you lift them and replace them when you leave? If you offer to live without carpet then there can't be any allergy issues with new tenants and you wouldn't have to pay for new. The landlord would get the benefit of zero wear during this time so extending the life of the carpets. It would be reasonable that you pay to have them professionally relaid.

Moobli likes this.
  10. Kirsty Nimmo

There are only carpets in the lounge and the bedroom but still, it's looking like it will cost us a small fortune which is an expense we probably won't be able to afford while moving :(

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are you planning on moving some time soon then?

If not, why not just start putting money to one side to replace them now.

12. Kirsty Nimmo

It's just a flat so there's only one floor but I do completely understand the issue here. I think we were just a bit shocked because we are

And we completely understand, it's his property and we are doing our utmost to look after it and not be a nuisance. I think we were just taken aback by his response, because we've read a lot into pet contracts and tenants with pets but this never even came up in our research

13. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Has he provided any evidence to demonstrate that professional carpet cleaning isn't sufficient?

Have you got any to demonstrate that it is?

14. Kirsty Nimmo

The thought crossed my mind but my partner raised the issue of: what if he sells the flat and we have to move suddenly? I think if we were to agree to all this then we may ask him to give us several months notice if he wants to sell up.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. Kirsty Nimmo

He just said it's for "future tenants who could have allergies and unpleasant odours that could occur over time"

We actually know a very good carpet cleaner and would be more than happy to have him come round every 6 months or so but I don't think I'm in a position to suggest this :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

As a landlord I can see his point but he would be struggling to enforce it at the end, though obviously you would lose your deposit. I gave permission to a tenant to have a dog and then she asked if she could have a second one. What a mistake that was. Puppies in the bedroom. The garden wrecked. I paid to have the carpets professionally cleaned and still ended up having to replace them because the smell was horrendous. The tenant eventually went owing loads of rent so there was no deposit left to use for expenses. I suppose the only advantage from the landlord's point of view is that at least you are likely to be careful. Cheap carpets will not cost you as much as your deposit though and if he kept all that back because you had not replaced them you would be worse off.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

But neither party is demonstrating what professional carpet cleaning actually does. Surely it's purpose is to get rid of at least unpleasant odours?!

I would also be careful that he is not asking you to agree to HIS choice of carpets which could be unreasonably expensive.

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

As I said professional cleaning hardly touched the smell of dog in our carpets. It was horrible walking up the stairs and even though the next tenant had a dog they could not accept it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  19. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

I have had our carpets professionally cleaned after each of our tenancies and it has always left them odourless. Admittedly, my dogs didn't piss all over them.

Moobli likes this.
  20. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

I have rented with dogs in the past and I had the carpets professionally cleaned when I left. He obviously values you as good tenants so I would speak to him again and ask whether you could compromise on having the carpets professionally cleaned every six/twelve months (whatever you think reasonable) and that you will send the invoice to him as proof it has been done.

I'd be wary of agreeing to replacing carpets tbh - although if it were only one or two small rooms then why not get a quote and see how much it would actually cost.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice