Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Smiffy67, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Smiffy67

Smiffy67 PetForums Newbie

Hello my names Julie and my baby jessie is a jakawawa she is now 18 weeks and still quite small I've been advised by my vet to get her spayed next week my concern is her size, it's a responsible thing to do my vet said it's best to do before first heat but I read that this can also cause complications like osteo problems, any advice appreciated.

Number 2 I have bought every dog food under the sun last Bering royal canine but she pick and I end up cooking her lamb or chicken with veg am I causing any harm?

Last one she has very fine almost bald under her belly and these dirt looking marks have appeared but don't seem to be washing off can I use something stronger. Thank you this is my first dog who I spend all my time with she's excellent around people and dogs if they are really big she just rolls on her back as if to say take me!!

She's going so well in pads but I don't think she goes when we go park. A lot of info but I'm a worrier just want to make sure. Thank you all my animal loving friends.

2. lisaslovelys

lisaslovelys PetForums VIP

I would say 18 weeks is way to young I have been advised to wait until after Honeys 1st season .
    My dog is also 18 weeks and was a very picky eater so I switched to raw feeding which she loves but its not for everyone .
    I use groom baby fresh shampoo on mine and baby shampoo for her face .
    Mine has never used pads I have always taken her outside to toilet I felt it easier than training to go on pads and then retraining to go outside and she always goes outside she has bells on the door which she rings when she wants to go outside :)
    I did buy pads but used them to wipe my feet on during our very wet winter..

3. Dianne58

Dianne58 PetForums Member

Hello Julie :) I can answer your 1st question about being spayed, my girls were done at 7months old and have been fine. Some vets will say do it before they come into season, some will say let them have one season :confused1: my other two girls were also done young and suffered no ill effects at all, it is all very confusing :001_wub: hope this helps ? x x x

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. I would say it is up to you to decide when to get your girl spayed, not your vet. The only way to decide is to research and then make up your own mind. I waited until after the first season which came at 7 months so Poppy was spayed at 10 months. She is small, was 5kg when spayed and 5.5kg now. Spaying didn't alter her in any way. My son has her litter sister who was spayed after her second season. She started her seasons later than my Poppy, her first one came at about 11 months, second one about 18 months and she was spayed 3 months after that. Spaying her didn't change her either. I personally think it's better for a dog to mature before neutering. Small dogs mature earlier than larger dogs. If I had your dog I would have her spayed after her first season.

You'll make a dog fussier by keeping on changing food. Decide what you want to feed and stick to it. Put it down, if dog doesn't eat it after about 15 minutes then remove it and give nothing else until the next meal is due. Repeat. Dog will eat when it is hungry. If you want to go down the home cooked route there are some threads on here about it which you can search for. Just make sure you are giving a varied, balanced diet. I started to feed raw as Poppy was never keen on kibble, nor was she much bothered about kibble mixed with wet. Once I tried raw she gobbled it up straight away and we've never looked back. Like Lisa says, raw isn't for everyone but if you consider it then research and understand it before trying it.

Just use a good dog/puppy shampoo. If it's not washing off, is it markings on her skin? Bichons have greyish patches on their pink skin like this:

[​IMG]

Puppy pads can make toilet training more difficult, it confuses them. I'd ditch them and just make sure you take her out frequently. Here's a sticky about house training http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/75317-housetraining-your-pup-older-dog.html. My son's dog was started on puppy pads and now at nearly 4 years old she still uses them and wont, under any circumstances, toilet outside.

Lurcherlad and Sleeping_Lion like this.
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

A lot of vets do say now spay before a first season, and quite a few have it done before 6 months or so. personally I have always had mine done when mature. My own vet too doesn't spay until about 12 weeks after a first season at the earliest.
    Its all down to individual choice of course, and only you can make the decision but if she were mine then I would wait.
    The lamb/chicken/veg wouldnt likely be causing her any harm in itself but it might not be nutritionally balanced as regards to vitamins, minerals and things like calcium that's the only thing.

There is a link below to a healthy adult dog cooked meal and its advised with that you use supplements. Ill link you to it, and the supplements for a home cooked diet. It may give you some guide lines and ideas.
    Healthy Adult Diet

Supplements for Home Cooked Diets - Canine Epilepsy Guardian Angels
    Depends what your using at the moment, but you would need to be careful of using anything stronger as it may irritate the skin and bathing too often especially with a stronger shampoo also dries the skin on and strips the coat of vital oils. Have you tried using pet wipes if her tummy is getting dirty after a walk on a regular basis, there is loads of different dog specific ones the one below is only an example.

Pet Wipes for Cats and Dogs 100 Pack Tub | Pets At Home
    Its not unusual for puppies even when they have gotten reasonably well trained and going in the garden not to toilet on a walk at first, that often comes later with confidence and age.
    At 18 weeks though she should be toilet trained and doing most of it in the garden at least. How much outside toilet training have you been doing? If you have been relying in the pads or almost totally, then it would be an idea to get her really started on outdoor training and even ditch the pads completely. Pads can just confuse them anyway, as if they are trained on pads and the pads are still there too, it acts as a cue that its the correct place to go, so they wont go anywhere else.

6. Smiffy67

Smiffy67 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all so much I have rang and put it off for another month. I'm going to start removing the food then put it down at meal times. I was so paranoid about her injections and advised not to let her out so was reliant on the pads up to 3 months, I did try putting one in the garden but she just pulled it around the sun to lay on it!! What a wonderful site for info thank you all so much x

Attached Files:

7. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Ohhhh she's cute as a button :)

Please stick around - as you have said, this is a great place with loads of knowledgeable people & it's great to chat about our pets without anyone thinking we're mmmmmmm a bit obsessed with them as can happen in RL sometimes!

8. katieloo

katieloo PetForums Junior

I was also paranoid about germs when mine were puppies so used to use Parvocide to swill my driveway and wipe visitors shoes. I think you made the right choice to defer having her spayed so young as she is so small - not an expert opinion just how I would feel. As for training someone told me to set a timer for every 25 minutes in the first few weeks and go outside with them regardless I did and we were clean & dry without any aids - never saw a complete t.v program though :D

9. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Personally I wait until they are mature, both physically and mentally.

Pen was done at 15 months purely because her first season wasn't smooth. Jack (neutered) tied with her when I wasn't looking. Lou (entire) had to go to my parents and lost loads of weight despite being fed the same and walked less - he was very stressed, it didn't help there was a bitch in season in my Mum's area too. :(

I would've waited until she was 18 months had it gone differently.

Being as you have a small dog she should be fully grown at about 8 months I would assume.

Please do your research on spaying. Keyhole spays are less evasive and take less time to recover from than traditional spays; however they are more expensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice