Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by celicababe1986, Apr 22, 2011.

1. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

My cat Lady has not been herself the last few days she has been really quiet and timid ( I put this down to hot weather) She has been drinking an awful lot (again I put this down to hot weather) , and all day today she has basically lived in th litter box, She keeps going in, squatting ( as if to do a wee) but not doing anything. If she is not in the litterbox she is sleeping. She was at the vets earlier in the week because she has an absess on her ear~I wondered if this could be related.
    She is not on any medication and was last wormed 6 weeks ago, no change in diet or surroundings. She is spayed.

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Im pretty sure going to the littebox a lot but not eliminating is a sign of a possible UTI. Is she fed a dry diet? I think a vet visit is in order for the UTI possibility.

3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

This could be cystitus.
    A trip to the vets tomorrow would be best.

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

How old is Lady? I'm surprised the vet didn't prescribe antibiotics for an ear abscess. Has she urinated at all? Sounds like cystitis if she keeps visiting the litter try though this doesn't account for the increased drinking. It's very hot here also but my cats haven't been drinking a lot more than ususal.

I doubt if the two conditons are related but I would take her back to the vets tonight.

5. celicababe1986

Yes she is fed a dry diet.

The vet said the ear abcess would clear up, they pricked it to allow the fluid out.

I shall call the vets now. thank you all for your advice.

6. gloworm*mushroom

Dry diets can contribute greatly to urinary infections as not enough moisture is in the diet. If she is prone to these it would be best to switch her to wet food.

7. celicababe1986

Lady has just turned four years old.

8. gloworm*mushroom

It's never too late to give your cat the best diet you can :)

9. celicababe1986

I put a thread up a few weeks ago about strange behaviour, where she jumped up and peed on my lap, and acted like she was in heat.... would these have been signs as well?

10. gloworm*mushroom

Is she spayed?

If so, it may be that she is finding it very uncomfortable weeing due to her cystitis. If she is going to the loo in her litter, and it hurts (as cystitis does, ouch) she will associate the pain with the litterbox. That can leads to weeing outside the box (including laps, lovely)

11. celicababe1986

What are the symptoms of cystitis?
    •Straining to urinate, only letting out a few drops (if any) at a time. This can sometimes lead the owner to believe that the cat is constipated.
    •Hematuria (blood in urine).
    •Increased thirst.
    •Increased frequency of urination.
    •Excessive genital licking, way beyond normal self cleaning.
    •Sudden halt in litter box usage.
    •Crying in the litter box. You may hear your cat crying near, around or in the litter box. This also involves the cat attempting to urinate & little or no urine is passed.
    •Urinating in places other than the litter box, such as the bath or floor.

these are the symptoms she has. I am waiting a call back from the vets.

12. celicababe1986

Yes she is spayed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice